• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

commievid

Has my belt snapped?

commievid

Hi all,

I am currently stranded waiting for options with the GTI6 I was just test driving after changing the front brakes.

Was going about 40-45, and heard a popping sound, then started to gradually lose power.

I was luckily able to find a junction to stop alongside of.

Turning the key makes the starter motor go, but in a way that sounds faster.

I have this horrific feeling the timing belt has gone?

It was last changed roughly 3 years ago with the intent of changing it next year, so am extremely miffed if so.

Tom Fenton

Typically if the belt goes, the engine will just instantly cut out.

commievid

That could well have been the case. I was coasting to a stop, so engine could have cut out. It's definitely not restarting!

jackherer
49 minutes ago, commievid said:

Turning the key makes the starter motor go, but in a way that sounds faster.

That does sound like the belt has snapped unfortunately.

Get the belt cover off and take a look, that's all you can do really.

commievid

Yeah, if only I had a 10mm spanner somewhere!

Oh well, time to think long and hard.

commievid

Yup, wife arrived with the tools and sure, enough, snapped.

Miffed. Just got MoT/VED/Insurance sorted out too!

commievid

Probably not the appropriate place to ask about this, but should I entertain just calling this off, how much would a decent asking price for a non-running 205 GTI6, essentially needing a replacement engine?

I don't realistically have any time to do anything with the car until at least Spring next year, so wondering if I should just let it go and call it a chapter of my life over.

Cobalt_drill_bit

Ok I admit i've no experience owning a GTI. But if I were you I would take into consideration if things are bothering me about the car apart from the engine. If nothing serious comes up. I would suggest to put in the effort to see what options you have on a repair of the cylinder head or a good  2nd hand replacement engine.

Tom Rallye

Changing the engine would take what? Let's say two days of work. What's that in your lifespan on this earth ;).

I can understand it sucks at this moment, but I would keep it and get the spanners out when spring arrives...

commievid

Yeah, swapping the engine isn't the worse job I will ever do, just the timing of it all I suppose, although is there ever a good time?

Will SORN and scour the interwebs for a replacement engine

petert

The head will be munted. You may as well drop the engine/box out and do it properly. Sure it can be done in the car but it's only a few more bolts to drop it all out.

brumster

Another car of mine slipped the belt a few weeks ago. 14 bent valves and 4 weeks later it was back on the road. Where there is a will there's a way ;)