• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Motronic MP3.1 from 605

Thijs_Rallye
5 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

by the looks of it it'll take a while to learn how to !!

I can confirm this Damir :D.

Albeit Tunerpro is a nice bit of software, it's handling of the old motronic axes is pretty terrible and cumbersome. For reading and burning eproms I use a TL866 which can readily be found on the internet. If you really want to dive in this rabbit hole yourself it might be worth considering buying an Ostrich, which enables using your ECU as a sort of stand alone system. It will replace the eprom (which it emulates) and has a flash memory to which you can write to while running the ECU. The Ostrich isn't produced anymore but maybe you can find a second hand one on ebay.

As for the knock, is this only during part load or also @ WOT?

DamirGTI

Loving the electronics/programing right ! :wacko: ... I'd rather do 10 engine rebuilds instead :blink:

Yes it's mainly part load knock , mid range seems to have little bit too much advance , but it knocks/pings ever so slightly ... much "lighter" than it was with the distributor (presumably because of the wasted spark ignition , sounds little bit different too) .

Same was with the distributor after re-curving , with the vacuum capsule still on - mid range knock ... then i ditched the vacuum capsule and locked the vac. advance plate (not ideal i know ...) and was fine afterwards no more knock . 

Will see about that Ostrich item .. they're all the same or ECU type specific ?

D

interesting article : http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html

Edited by DamirGTI

SRDT

There is some anti-knock strategy using load (basic injection time), air temp and coolant temp ; at least there is on the TU3FJ2 ECU and it should be the same with others.

Thijs_Rallye
18 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Will see about that Ostrich item .. they're all the same or ECU type specific ?

It can emulate any 28 pin eprom. https://motornatics.shop/products/moates-ostrich-2-0-eprom-emulator

Tbh I am not 100% sure if the MP3.1 still has such an eprom. A mate of mine ( @Matthijs) is working on connecting an ostrich to the TCT ECU, afaik for that ecu you will need a different adapter and I wouldn't be surprised that the MP3.1 uses the same style of socket. He doesn't visit here often but I tagged him regardless.

Being able to real time tune the ecu instead of guesstimating the changes, burning an eprom, test, etc etc is well worth the effort though.

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

DamirGTI
1 hour ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

Sounds interesting ! .. but a bit pricey item , will see if there's an used one on sale somewhere .

Anyhow , got in touch with an old friend of mine who's electromechanic , he knows/has experience with this stuff and does this professionally for a living .

Also has experience with tuning 205's and other PSA engines ..

So we'll try an chip or two , one of them should do the trick .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

SRDT

Old MP3.2 have a DIP-28 EPROM but later revisions don't.

You can find cheaper 27C256 EPROM emulators but they are not specifically made for automotive use:

https://www.tindie.com/products/mygeekyhobby/eprom-emulator-diy-arduino/

You can find Moates-like products here, they even have a few Moates products left in stock:

https://boostednw.com/index.php?route=common/home

• Thanks 1

DamirGTI

Getting nowhere with this for months now here locally , and honestly got fed up with promises and nose pulling waiting games .

So , can anyone from over here help burning an chip or two with little bit corrected ignition maps to suite 11.1 compression ratio engine ?

At least an close one so i can drive it without melting the engine .. till i find emulator and learn how to by myself .

Paying for the service and postage obviously .