• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Hothatch1988

Trying to trace a GTI for a special reason!

Hothatch1988

Hey guys,

Very strange request this. I am trying to trace a certain 205 GTI in black.

Registration is F396 GGP.

This car I actually owned at one point and the last place I know it resided in was in Blaina, Blaenau Gwent, South Wales in 2010.

This is a real long shot I know guys but any info on this car would be really appreciated. This car has a very special meaning to me as it was previously owned at one point by my late best friend who passed away. We picked up the car together and it holds very special memories.

I've had a calling to try and track it down and get hold of it. It's a super long shot I know but part of me is hoping it's sat in someone garden or garage still in South Wales and not written off or crushed in a scrap yard. 

Any information this would be greatly appreciated guys.

Best,

Ben

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

Last MOT expired on 1st June this year, and it was MOT'd 2 years before that so it still appears to exist on that side of things on Cazana / .gov MOT checker.

Interestingly though, check it on the .gov tax check and it comes up as "car not found - contact DVLA".

Hothatch1988

Hi Alex,

How did you find the last MOT date? That's quite hopeful if that's the case! 

I did do the DVLA vehicle check and came back same thing for me. Car not found. Is it worth calling the DVLA?

Thanks so much for the response. June this year leaves me with some hope!

Hothatch1988

Sorry yeah just seen where you searched that. Thanks again. Hope I can get some more light shed on this. 

IRISH_MI16

I've tracked down a few cars in the last couple of years. 

Post on all the 205 facebook groups you can find and and retro car pages. 

Pictures will help a huge amount. 

Also worth writing to your local police Sargent they may be able to release its owners information.

AlexRS2782

I'm not sure contacting the Police about a car owners information will go down too well - especially if it's not related to anything criminal.

Similar to the above, the V888 can't be used for the reasons the OP is after.  Originally (up until the middle of 2017) you could also use it to get information about previous owners of your own vehicle, but It's for owners to request information about what the DVSA currently hold about their own vehicle.  Otherwise it's only for requesting current owners details for things such as finding the registered keeper of a vehicle abandoned on your property, locating a vehicle that's been involved in an accident / criminal act but driven off without leaving details, etc.  There's a variation on the form specifically for parking companies / businesses trying to track owners for things like enforcement issues.

Under the changes last year & this year to Data Protection / GDPR, etc, the DVSA can't release information without valid reason - especially if it giving out that information ends up being used to contact someone without their consent.  Such as the people you see on Pistonheads / Facebook asking if they can get owners details from the DVSA because they wan't to buy back a car they used to own years ago or more commonly trying to buy the personalised reg plate that's currently attached to a car but isn't available for sale.

It's for the same reasons that all new V5's are now issued devoid of the previous owners name & address, and why the MOT test location was removed, for anyone but the current owner or prospective buyer using the V5 reference, from the online checker.

And lying to get the info (claiming you've been involved in an accident for instance) isn't a great idea (even though people still suggest it online) - as this guy found out earlier this year:

https://www.legalfutures.co.uk/latest-news/f1-ned-accident-management-boss-convicted-crash-number-plate-scam

Edited by AlexRS2782
  • Like 2

Biggles

"Car not found" is often a sign it's been exported and the DVLA has deleted their records. 

Hothatch1988

As Alex said it wouldn't be a good idea contacting the police or anything, that would be a bit excessive and intruding. I deffo would not lie to obtain information about this vehicle. 

I am purely hoping the car is known of by someone on the scene thats all and could possibly connect me personally with the owner if it is used by someone else. Even better would be great to find that someone has just chucked it into storage and are not to interested anymore but that would be hoping! 

Given the 205 GTI scene is quite cult now i am hoping the car hasn't travelled far from where I once owned it. But who knows?

Lets hope this post reaches someone who does!

Will also try other forums too. Thanks for your comments and advice people, means a lot. 

Emz

Hi. I know this won't be any help to you but I also owned this car. 

Emz

Hi. I know this won't be any help to you but I also owned this car. I should probably say I owned it about 15 years ago. The guy i sold it to was named Adam and he was from Stourbridge area I believe.