• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bangerman

205 Battery Terminal Clamp

bangerman

Can anyone suggest where I can get hold of a pukka positive battery clamp please? The thread inside the plastic wing nut on mine has been stripped and consequently it keeps coming loose. I'd rather not replace the entire clamp as I have no equipment to swage the clamp into a tight fit on the cable. Many thanks.

Peugoet 205 Battery Clamp.jpeg

Tom Fenton

I'm not sure they are still available new. It is the negative terminal by the way.

A simple option to make a repair is to buy a clamp terminal that has an M8 male stud to accept the wiring. If you bend the tabs and remove the plastic wing nut, with a bit of careful trimming, you can turn that lug crimped to the cable into a very acceptable ring terminal, and fasten that to your new clamp terminal with a nut.

Tom Fenton

Like this

batt term.JPG

farmer

you can get positive and negative items from Pug 

Ozymandis

Free the green plastic bit by bending the metal.

Junior hacksaw off the green plastic wingnut with the stripped threads.

Thenyou have a green plastic cone washer/spacer

Squash that back into the metal of the clamp.

Use an m8 nut or even wing nut on top of the washer You just made, works fine.

No crimping or cable cutting quick and easy.

But if you want factory ,buy one from your friendly local Peugeot franchise.

jupiterroom

"you can get positive and negative items from Pug" do you happen to have a part number for the clamp in the first picture please?  Can't see it on servicebox.

Telf

I've no idea why you would want to refit those wanky french connectors. Get a auto place to make you up a set of neg and pos leads- mine cost £20. new cables for the alternator, starter, shunt box .

• Haha 1

jupiterroom

@Telf - hah!  Point taken.

Rich.

Ralph N

Apologies for resurrecting this but I have the same problem with my Peugeot 205 CJ.  I need a new negative terminal clamp.  I could approach Pug as was suggested here as it isn't a million miles away but Telf suggested getting an 'auto place' to make up a set of negative and positive leads.  What is meant by an 'auto place'? Many thanks.

309SRiguy

I formed a small cylinder/sleeve using aluminium drink can for shim. I sits inside the thread of the wingnut.

Careful screwing onto the bolt forces the thin alloy into the worn grooves and should give enough grip to tighten firmly on the terminal.

I like the "wanky french connector" for the spanner-free quick release it provides in case of emergency.

Ralph N

Excellent point and thanks very much for the idea.  Will look at that.  Cheers.