• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoeBWS

Hillclimb/track setup

JoeBWS

Just finished my road going setup, now the next one in is the track car. Its mostly going to be used for hill climbs and i'm looking for a good setup i can use. I hear Bilstein Group N challenge all round are great, but what front springs would be recommended? Or is there any other suggestions for a different setup? looking to probably spend £600 give or take each way

Tom Fenton

Depends what you really intend to do with it. The Challenge Bilstein were originally intended for rally cars and so are exceptionally good at damping on very bumpy roads but there are probably better options for a true hillclimb competition car. Geometry is probably most important for a dedicated tarmac car, negative camber and as much caster as possible on the front as a start.

petert

I concur with Tom. It's very hard to beat a Colin Satchill front end if your regulations allow. Whilst the 205 is a great road car, the geometry soon becomes the limiting factor for a dedicated tarmac race car.

JoeBWS

I probably should've said its not going to be a true competition car, just a good fun track toy, hence my budget for the suspension

Tom Fenton

Having been there and done it (track car) I’d still advise the same. A set of coil overs will be better suited to a track car, you don’t need the damping performance on a circuit, what you do need is to be able to change spring rates, difficult on the challenge bilsteins as they use a full size spring and you will find yourself very limited as to what is available both rate and ride height, whereas this is easy with a coilover. Also the smaller spring diameter allows you to use eccentric top mounts to get some negative camber on the job which is also drastically needed for proper tyre use on a circuit.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Final thing I will say is that to make it work well on a track it will be crap on the road. So be under no illusion you can set it up to be good at both!

• Like 1

JoeBWS

Thanks for the info, do you have any recommendations of coilovers? I've seen the Gaz GHA Coilovers these fit my budget, has anyone had any experience with these?

Batfink

They are an ok setup. Entry level trackday kit. If you fancy spending a little more I have a Satchell Engineering front setup with some Leda coilovers. Had to pull it all off my car build as I'm doing Time Attack next year and its not eligable due to the subframe customisation...

Biggles

I've been using Avo since the original Leda went bust a dozen or so years ago.  Nigel is very helpful and the product has been top notch.  The range of adjustment on the single adjustables I've got is well more than sufficient to cope with a relatively soft "rally" setup to a somewhat stiffer "circuit" one.