• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danj.pdx

BE3 driveshaft options

danj.pdx

Hi All,

I'm in the USA and just bought a 1992 1.6 GTi. Super fun little car. 

I'm making a list of projects. Replacing or rebuilding the driveshafts is top of the list. One side is making a little noise. I'd like to order a new pair (both sides, complete axles) and any other miscellaneous parts I'll need while doing the job.

Are all the BE3 transmission driveshafts the same, or were there differences from one year to the next? My car is a '92 build. Also, what other parts will be needed or good to replace while doing the project? 

What are the best parts vendors - in terms of service, prompt shipping and selection? Any that are sponsors of the site?

Lastly, I ordered a Haynes manual. Is there a better or must-have 205 shop manual?

Thank you in advance for the guidance,

Dan.

welshpug

not all BE shafts are the same, standard 1.6 and diesel models have small outer cv's, same size as TU models, bearing is the same also, but a taller offset flange.

1.9 has a larger removable outer cv, as do abs models.

a haynes 'workshop' manual is the one to buy, only available used, make sure you get the newest age variant as theres a fair bit in the addendum chapter covering later vehicles.

the service and repair has much less detailed information

danj.pdx

Ok, thank you.

This car is a 1992 1.6 GTi that was an export market car. Could you share a part number or link to the correct driveshafts or CV joints? Because shipping cost will be almost as much as the cost of the driveshafts, I want to be sure to get the correct parts.

Thank you,

Dan.

Ozymandis

Any 1.6 petrol 205, any automatic transmission 205 or any diesel 205 shafts will fit, with the proviso there is NO ABS.

(ABS use a larger wheel bearings like 1.9`s.)

Also Citroen C15 van shafts fit, these are newer and more numerous in Britain. Citroen Visa 1.6GTi  and diesel shafts also fit but are rarer than 205 ones.

The shafts come in various manufactureres iterations with physically different inner and outer CV joints , gaiters and drive bar diameters, but are all interchangeable so long as the lengths correct and the number of splines each end match.

Google Peugeot Citroen service box, set the language to English and register, this gives you access to the manufactureres parts catalogue with part numbers and diagrams etc, its free and not at all difficult, many folk on here have done it and its worthwhile.

danj.pdx

Thanks for the input. 

I couldn't figure out how to create an account on Servicebox, after trying a few different browsers and settings. I did order a pair of non-abs 1.6 driveshafts and some spindle nuts though. I really appreciate the info regarding interchangeability. There really isn't a Peugeot market here, and I'm new to the brand, so I appreciate the background info.

Dan.