• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

R0B

Need help with wiring routes

R0B

Hello all, im trying to put back together my dad's old 1989 1.6 gti, which he started restoring about 15 years ago and eventually gave up on it as he lost enthusiasm when he got stuck with the wiring. Im hoping someone here could point me in the right direction on the routing that i am trying to work out.

Where the wiring loops around the instrument cluster (first image) i need to know if the ecu and tach plug wiring runs within the cable tidy or does this run behind the dash? At present i only have the cluster wiring in cable tidy but ive seen photos and there are extra cables running in there which seems to continue down the right hand side and looping back into the dash. I also have a loose set of cables which have a white 4 pin plug and a brown plug with a red cable and yellow cable going into it (second image), could it be these that should be within the cable tidy?

Lastly, behind the steering wheel, there are a set of what look like earth cables on plugs, could someone have a look at the last image and tell me if what i have plugged in looks correct or have i done it wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

IMG_20180724_162912.jpg

IMG_20180724_162953.jpg

IMG_20180724_163033.jpg

Edited by R0B

tartanbloke

Good evening,

Attached are some photos that may help you as I am stripping mine down at the moment and have tried to record the position of all the wiring prior to removing.

The wiring with the white pug goes behind the ECU and round to the right whereby it connects to the plastic kick cover.

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

R0B

Thanks very much for those images :)   i dont suppose you have a picture that shows how the engine harness routes up over the steering column after it has come through the rubber grommet in the fire wall?

tartanbloke

Not at the moment but I have the attached if that helps.

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

Tom Fenton

I don't want to start majorly taking it to bits, but I'm in Rotherham and you are welcome to come and have a look at my car if it will help.

R0B

Hi Tom, thanks for the offer, very kind of you. Thankfully though i think ive managed to get it installed correctly. Just got to work out where all the screws go!

I do have a question about the Yellow, Blue, Green and White connector that come off of the instrument cluster cable tidy (see tartanbloke's first pic)..... where do these plug into exactly?

Tom Fenton

Plugs you mention go into the back of the clocks, I’m fairly sure that each will only fit in it’s correct place.

Don’t forget the blue 3 pin that does the Rev counter, and the speedo cable whilst you are there.

tartanbloke

Pictures attached.

IMG_2835[1].JPG

IMG_2837[1].JPG

R0B

Thanks again! Very primitive the way they connect. Im back with more questions tho (sorry). i have a few outstanding connectors which i cannot find anything for them connect into so wondering if these are actually redundant and used for higher spec models?

IMG_20180801_121846.jpg

IMG_20180801_122147.jpg

IMG_20180801_154022.jpg

IMG_20180801_120110.jpg

IMG_20180801_121953.jpg

IMG_20180801_154038.jpg

R0B

Ive also found this relay laying around on the floor of the car? Can anyone identify it and advise where it is supposed to be fitted?

IMG_20180801_125406.jpg

jackherer

The purple wire and the grey wire go to the brake light switch on the pedal.

The green and yellow striped wires plug into an earth block that should be bolted to the right side of the steering column bracket.

The brown 4 pin plug with green wires on it goes to the dash dimmer rheostat dial on the bottom trim panel for the steering column, you wont get any dash back lighting with that unplugged.