• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

GTP_Ingram

205 XS springs

GTP_Ingram

Hi all, 

Hoping someone can help with a quick question: I'm looking to replace the front springs on my '89 XS. I have access to Service Box, but there seems to be a load of similar part numbers for front springs on there (5002 then 47, or 48 or 51... the list goes on). Does anyone know which is the correct set for the XS? Are the springs uprated over a boggo 1.1 for example, or are they shared with any other model?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex

Tom Fenton

Before you get too tied up in which part number is which, are any of them actually available from Peugeot? I know GTI springs aren't any more. They are identified by paint marks on the spring in different colour, often long gone now.

GTP_Ingram
Just now, Tom Fenton said:

Before you get too tied up in which part number is which, are any of them actually available from Peugeot? I know GTI springs aren't any more.

Parts aren't available from Peugeot any more, but some non-OE companies (Kilen, for example) still make parts which match the original part numbers.

welshpug

tricky one as you mention, as there's little info on which model specifics they were used on unlike later vehicles though they are split into carb/non cars/diesel, and also TU24 rallye, which happens to use the same springs as my standard 1.9.

there is one of the carb specification springs not marked nfp

GTP_Ingram
4 hours ago, welshpug said:

tricky one as you mention, as there's little info on which model specifics they were used on unlike later vehicles though they are split into carb/non cars/diesel, and also TU24 rallye, which happens to use the same springs as my standard 1.9.

there is one of the carb specification springs not marked nfp

I'm assuming that there's slightly different spring rates among the TU-engined cars (I had a GL which felt a bit softer than the XS) but I can't seem to find much info anywhere :/

welshpug

Tony phillpott of the PSCUK may be able to help you, he has a very clean unmodified XS, small chance the paint  marks are still visible.

chobot

Hi, I'm not sure if it helps, but there is picture of my original springs from my XS in comparison with ones from some base 1.1 model. XS are much shorter. Also I noticed that XS springs have similar length as 1.9 GTI but seems little bit softer. My XS is version for german market - TU with monopoint fuel injection, which also could have different springs than carb models.

springs 1.1 vs 1.4XS.jpg

GTP_Ingram
On 7/16/2018 at 6:23 PM, welshpug said:

Tony phillpott of the PSCUK may be able to help you, he has a very clean unmodified XS, small chance the paint  marks are still visible.

Thanks for the help, I'll try to give him a shout.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, chobot said:

Hi, I'm not sure if it helps, but there is picture of my original springs from my XS in comparison with ones from some base 1.1 model. XS are much shorter. Also I noticed that XS springs have similar length as 1.9 GTI but seems little bit softer. My XS is version for german market - TU with monopoint fuel injection, which also could have different springs than carb models.

That's really useful, thank you! Well, it's useful in that I know I have to do some more research now :lol:

205nut

Hi, I'm just trying to resolve question of coil spring identification for my GT, same as XS. I relate to the challenges faced by other authors. When I search for springs based on different engine variants on various online shops to try to confirm whether some KYB springs that I inherited, part no. RA1542, are the correct ones, that one seems to be quoted whatever the engine spec. Of course this can't be right as we know XS (and GT) have a stiffer suspension setup. The coils on my car have 5 and half turns like the photo in an earlier post and the KYB RA1542 have more turns at 6 and half. So I'm reckoning these aren't right. Thoughts anyone?

fba1112

Hi, sorry for bringing up this old thread again...

I'm having the same problems as above finding the correct springs. My car is a 1,1 TU1M from 94' and as mentioned above the part no. KYB RA1542 seems to be the correct spring for the standard car. 

However, I'd like to renew the old tired suspension and maybe fit some XS springs with a set of Bilstein B4's along the way to firm it up a little bit. Has anyone done this before to their standard model? 

Does anyone know the correct XS-spring dimensions (spring height, wire diameter,...) ? 

I read the Gti ones are about 330mm with 12,5mm wire diameter. But these probably won't fit the std. struts?!

Would love to hear some thoughts from you, 

Thanks for the help,

Adrian