• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Dave B

Buying advice

Dave B

Hi all,

I’ve always wanted a Miami Blue 1.9 205 GTi since seeing one in a dealship as a 10 year old lad when my dad was buying a 205 Roland Garros. I’m in a position to buy now and have found one which is very original, 79000 miles, 91 model, original head unit, full book pack and a folder full of receipts and old MOT certs but I’m worried about a few things, mainly crazed paint on the roof and cracks on the B pillar. The car is quite highly priced but I don’t know if it’s a good deal because it’s so original or if I should look at an older car and do a full restoration over time. Any thoughts or advice would really be appreciated. 

Gaz205

You could post a link to it? Paint / lacquer fade is quite normal as is cracks above the rear side windows. Rear beam is something to be checking.

Tom Fenton

Wow, that's definitely a premium price.

I would want to see evidence of some overhaul work carried out at that price. Beam rebuild for 1. I would also expect the paint to be nigh on immaculate.

Personally I would rather hunt for something at half the price, which should still yield a tidy car, and then have a chunk of change in my pocket to sort out a few niggles.

Telf

I personally wouldn't pay that kind of money for a GTI. it looks ok in the pictures but engine doesn't look like its been worked on- also its got a rogue relay showing just under the slam panel- I imagine its a starter mod?

As Tom says buy a cheaper one and use any extra cash to sort any issues.

jackherer

Good spot, that relay is pretty crude!

The whole front end is a bit suspicious, two non-original Lucas headlights with some interesting alignment visible in this photo - Peugeot-205-015.JPG

And a very shiny bonnet catch with bolts that look like the originals.

Peugeot-205-024.JPG

Dave B

Thanks guys, I think my descision is made. I really appreciate the advice. The search continues...