• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richie-Van-GTi

Fuel lines and brake lines

Richie-Van-GTi

Are the under car fuel lines available ready made from anywhere? Last I seen was a genuine kit but it was essentially just a length of pipe.

Also where can I get brake line that isn't copper? I want something that won't discolour after ten minutes of exposure.

Telf

baker BM produce the fuel lines

• Thanks 1

Leslie green

Copper is used for bake lines as its easy shaped and easy flared , steel lines tend to rust after a while and need a more expensive tool to flare them.

Ozymandis

Get Kunifer copper/nickel brake pipe, its widely available and looks fine forever.

It is stronger than copper and doesnt work harden like copper does.

I use nothing else.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cupro-Nickel-Brake-Pipe-3-16-Copper-Nickel-British-Standard-Tubing-25ft/322182755883?hash=item4b0396b62b:g:8f4AAOSwI-BWHrG5

Tom Fenton

All above is true, BUT, it’s more difficult to work with as it’s more rigid than copper. You will definitely need a proper bending tool to do a neat job.

Bakes100

Clicky

This is the tool I used for flaring the ends on my kunifer brake pipes, haven't had one leak yet using this.

Ozymandis

""More difficult" Tom, more spinach!  I managed without a bending tool for twenty odd years, if hes doing just one car he can manage, my mot man often commented on the neatness of my brake pipes,

although I do have one now and it is as you say, easier.

As to a flaring tool for it I had a cheap one, (that won a practical classics product test and was tested with kunifer) for years and never had a problem flaring kunifer, although it did go through half a dozen forming dies, they are very hard and brittle, I found Draper 82702 ones fit fine and dont snap unlike the original type on a strip supplied, and are less than two quid if you google. I use a smear of red rubber grease on the forming die which helps a lot.

Its still available as a Sealey and probably others, approx 30quid.

Are You aware copper brake pipes are illegal in some countries,

eg the United States the largest users of brake pipes in the world, due to issues with work hardening.They know a thing or two about it.

Its reccomended in Britain if you do use copper, you should use twice as many clips half the distance apart to negate vibration, work hardening the pipes.

image.thumb.png.87d4d09f62a95d6947ef4a54348b6a99.png

ian010778

I've got a length of original fuel line spare as my dealer insisted I needed two lengths (flow and return) when I did mine a number of years back and i let him talk me in to buying two.

I didn't use a special tool but I did, idea courtesy of this forum, use the old lines as a template. I just worked along, one bend at a time using tie-wraps to secure the new to the old as I carefully worked along.

They're really neat and it only took me a few hours.

Ian.

Richie-Van-GTi

I will be buying the baker fuel lines, Ive had the pipe from a dealer before and they wre just that...pipes, no ends, no shape and incorrect length.

Jay, thanks for the link, I will bookmark that. I have found coated steel pipes from places on the web. Flaring shouldnt be an issue whichever I choose, Got a good snap on flaring tool at home and plenty of pipe bending equipment at work. Its usually the straight runs I struggle to get neat :P