Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gavin Waddell

Car starts then cuts out immediately

Gavin Waddell

Alright Then i was sold it as a MP3.1?

I’ve been running through the wiring diagrams checking for continuity, and it all seems to be able to work with the 205’s original wiring. It’s just the big brown relay has a few wires cut and wanted to trace them.

Thanks Gavin

Gavin Waddell

Ok so little update, I went to the car this morning. I I bridged the tach relay to 87a and 87b? With power and still nothing. So i put the tach relay back turned the key pump primes stuck a light probe on one of the injectors to see and we have power. Tried to start it nothing!

so I got out the brake cleaner sprayed à heathy dose inside the AFM and it started for a couple of secs then died. Meaning no fuel injectors not spraying. Now why? It’s got a new ignition amp and temp sensor.

any ideas?

Gavin

Gavin Waddell

Could it be a dodgy ground? The écu grounds the injectors to fire?  

Akso tach relay, ing amp, and the coil? If all of these don’t ground car won’t start?

is there a way to jury rig a ground on the ecu, like adding a growing to the pin?

gavin

Telf

Gavin I've just read through this, can you clarify is it an original ECU/engine loom or aftermarket/modded?

Also have you actually tried a different ECU?

Have you tried a different AFM?

Edited by Telf

Telf
On 11/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, Gavin Waddell said:

Aussie frogs where some one had the same trouble. Now they said to unplugge the écu temp sensor because if it shorts out the écu won’t fuel properly. Forgot to mention I pulled the injectors out and they weren’t firing.

So tonight I went to the garage tried to start it and nothing. Unplugged the afm and it Started ?

Reading this I think you have a short to earth somewhere. 

As I understand it if the coolant sensor is earthed the ECU won't allow the car to start. Have you checked the sensor wiring for a short to earth? Likewise have you checked the wiring from the AFM for a short condition?

Ordinarily a shirt to earth would remain regardless of the sensor or AFM being connected. I mean the ECU would still sense it but have you rules out any shorts?

Gavin Waddell

Thanks telf

ive made up a list of all the engine management plugs and I’m going to work my way through it and see what I can find. 

Thanks for the advice 

Gavin Waddell

Here’s abut if a dumb question how to you check a short? 

Gavin

Telf

Hi  ok so it's pretty simple 

Whatever wire you are testing make sure it is disconnected from the load (eg a bulb etc) and supply.

Connect the -ve lead if the fluke to a good known earth - like the gearbox earth. Connect the +ve lead to the wire. 

If you get continuity(zero ohms) then you have a short to earth

See pics

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1579785400951.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1579785409991.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1579785417012.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1579785424351.jpeg

Edited by Telf

jackherer
34 minutes ago, Telf said:

Connect the -ve lead if the fluke

Other (cheaper) multimeters are available ;)

PhilNW

Whats makes you think it is electrical?

Whats the fuel pressure like? 

When the pump primes it can get enough to the injectors but will reduce rapidly when it starts. 

Gavin Waddell

Hey telf

Thanks for that.

just to recap:

1.set ohm meter to continuity

2. Unplug injector plug and tick +ve in one pin and, - ve on battery terminal.

3. Look at ohm meter and should not read zero.

looking through the wiring diagram a lot of the components for the engine management our joined together? Meaning I could have a short to earth any where ?

phil: I reckon it’s electrical because when I spray easy start Int the inlet it starts .

you reckon there’s not enough fuel pressure ? Pinch the return line and see if that helps?

Thanks Gavin

PhilNW
15 minutes ago, Gavin Waddell said:

phil: I reckon it’s electrical because when I spray easy start Int the inlet it starts .

you reckon there’s not enough fuel pressure ? Pinch the return line and see if that helps?

How long after the squirt of easy start does it run for? If it is starting that suggests to me electrical is good  just short of fuel

Confession - I was trying to diagnose a problem years ago and with all the failed attempts at starting I realised I had run out of fuel ! 

Pinching the return line may not affect the pump pressure if it is not adequate in the first place

Edited by PhilNW

PhilNW

Another issue I found on mine was the wires in the connector to the AFM, check how good they are as they could be sending the no/bad signal to the ecu. I ended up cutting off and replacing the  4 terminals in the plug and all was good