• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Rallye

Introduction from Belgium

Tom Rallye

I'm going to introduce myself here, because there doesn't seem to be any other possibility anymore and I think it's only polite to do so when you're new somewhere (been reading here for a couple of years).

I would like to apologize for my English, it has been 25 years since I left school ;).

I'm Tom Vanlimbergen, age 44 and I live in Mol, Belgium.

I'm a safety and prevention advisor for 5 schools.

My car history: 1990-1993: VW Polo 1.3, 1993-1996 Peugeot 205 1.9 Gti, 1996-2005 Peugeot 106 Gti, 2005-2009 Peugeot 206 SW Hdi16v, 2009-2013 Seat Leon Fr Tdi, 2013-2018 Skoda Octavia Rs Tdi, current daily driver: Hyundai I30n Performance Pack.

From 1996 onwards I allways bought new cars, but I had a hobbycar on the side: untill 2010 it was a Peugeot 304 coupe S that I restaured myself, in the period 2002-2006 I also had a Mercedes Unimog  404 and in 2006 I bought my current euro 205 Rallye.

It is the 1.9 version, because in Belgium you can't change anything on a car or it will fail it's MOT. The Rallye 1.9 isn't known as such in Belgium, so a lot can be altered because they only have rudimantery info (for example the engine has to be alloy 1.9L, but they don't know if it has to have carbs, 8v or 16v, turbo, ...).

In the past few years I replaced the 8v lump for a mi16, changed the suspension to Eibach and Bilstein, rear 1.9 axle, 266 mm brakes, bucket seats, ...

Two years ago, the engine blew up due to a bairing that seized.

I had a complete engine rebuilt: cylinders, pistons, lighthened and balanced rods+ pistons + crank + flywheel, skimmed head, Cat Cam inletshaft, new gearbox with Qaife LSD, ...

The only thing that looked a bit dull was the camshaft cover. I had it sandblasted and painted, but forgot to check the breather on top wich was full of sandblasting grid. This resulted in a totally wasted engine after 50 km's :angry:.

The project was put on hold for a year, but recently I've picked it up again. All the components have been cleaned and everything is being  measured to see what can be reused.

I want to get it running on bodies and after market ecu.

Next year I want to put a new roof on (to get rid of the hidious after market sunroof) and get a full respray.

Now some pictures of the 205 and the daily:

20170118_114305.thumb.jpg.ab7d07dc9f7f1414feb9ad650d60d657.jpg20180420_172312.thumb.jpg.49b57c6f60333a66056aea7c2bb1d31d.jpg

barneys66

Welcome to the forum - Rallye looks great, and that engine failure must have been heart-breaking!

Looking forward to more updates.

farmer

The Peugeot garage in Geel is a good point for assistance and does have some old stock 

Tom Rallye

I know, my ex-wife was a niece of the owner. That was the reason I became a Peugeot driver in the first place.

I literally got all the parts they had for the 304 in the old stock for free.

Since she became my ex-wife, things have become a little more expensive ;)

I still have a very good relationship with the older mechanics that work there. A few of them can do magical things with a 205. The boss used to rally a 205. 

farmer

Do you know Kris Van Nuffel he used to work at Geel and lives in Mol ?

Tom Rallye

I know him but it was in the last years I had a Peugeot as a daily that he sarted working there.

The only mechanic that ever touched my 205 or 106 was Theo Nijs. I think he can dis- an re-assemble a 205 gti with his eyes closed.

Edited by Tom Rallye

farmer

Yes, he left last year to become a full time DJ

I deal with Kevin now

Daxed

Welcome on board. As previously stated, that is a heartbreaking story (the car bit, possibly not the wife bit). 

All the best for getting it sorted. 

AlexRS2782

The engine failure must have been a nightmare - but I guess you just have to grit your teeth and get through it.

Very nice i30N as well - really like the look of those - no excessive rear wing / bumper winglets / vents, etc.