• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

eddie bullit

electrical help required please!

eddie bullit

Just looking at turning the 205 around in the garage to start work on the suspension...long term project this ;) anyway fuel in, battery charged and car turned over. after a bit of key turning I realised that no fuel is being fed. I've checked the fuel pump feed with a multi meter but nothing there. Also the horn, indicators/hazards aren't working either! I've checked the fuses and they as seem intact. Its a 89 1.9 gti.

So no horn, indicators/hazards or fuel pump. 

Help appreciated to get my little pug fired up :)

Edd

Edited by eddie bullit

eddie bullit

Tachymetric relay be at fault?

Tom Fenton

Check for a spark. The jetronic uses a pulse from the distributor to fire the spark and fuel. No pulse = no spark no fuel.

• Like 1

jackherer

Check the small signal wire on the side of the distributor, they often fray and break.

The non functioning horn and hazards/indicators are probably a separate fault.

• Like 1

eddie bullit

Cheers for the replies Tom & Jack. I'll take a look at those and feedback when investigated. 

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

eddie bullit
On 01/05/2018 at 8:21 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Check for a spark. The jetronic uses a pulse from the distributor to fire the spark and fuel. No pulse = no spark no fuel.

Ive taken out a plug, attached the lead and I have a spark. So I guess the coil is okay. 

eddie bullit

Is the fuel relay located under the steering column? Could it be this that's causing the issue? I ve power to the fuel level sensor approx 12.5v but nothing to the pump. 

Help appreciated

MrStock

Its in earlier models near brake fluid reservoir and in later behind the fuses under the steering wheel.

check the pump itself, they break very often. they were broke in my both gtis, one didnt get any fuel to engine and the other a little bit

Edited by MrStock

eddie bullit

Will do cheers MrStock. I'm removing the lower dash. I've removed the screws on the underside of the column and the one to the right hand side of the dash. Are there anymore? I want to remove and check the fuel relay as well.

Ta in advance 

welshpug

no need to remove the dash to access the relay!  look through the hole and you will see it next to the ecu, black box about 2.5" tall

eddie bullit
14 hours ago, welshpug said:

no need to remove the dash to access the relay!  look through the hole and you will see it next to the ecu, black box about 2.5" tall

Great stuff I'll take a look tomorrow.

eddie bullit

Ok I've got to the relay positioned to the right of the steering column. Ive got constant live there of around 12.5v 

I'm guessing the next thing to try is the relay. Can I bench test this off the car anyway?

Cheers

eddie bullit

I've taken the cover of the relay and pushed the contact. I can hear a noise as I do this but still not starting.  Any ideas? Does this mean the relay is dead or is there something else that isn't working? I had the rear of the car jacked up high when the beam and brake lines were changed and the tank was off. Is there a fuel cut off that needs resetting?

eddie bullit

Tested the relay using the live and neutral but nothing happening. Guessing its fooked or have I missed something? Does it need earthing whilst testing?