• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wallby

Head Gasket Issue?

Wallby

Hi All,

I need your advice on a potential head gasket issue I may have. It all started last week when I was giving the car a once over before taking it for a mot, when I found quite a bit of water in my oil catch tank. Now I think I've had this before so wasn't that alarmed by it. On emptying it it was a brown colour water and some oil.

I then noticed that it had used a bit of coolant. It was still well above the min line, and I also have a small coolant leak so it could be down to that.

The next thing that I noticed was some mayo under the oil filler cap. Could possibly be down to me not using the car much over the winter and doing short journeys, but at this point alarm bells were ringing about a potential head gasket issue.

My thinking over the weekend was that I should do a quick compression test which should tell me that I have an issue so that I can get on and get the head gasket changed ready for a trackday I have booked mid May. I bought a compression tester, did the test last night and all 4 cylinders came out between 197 and 190psi - which should be ok! I had to do the test cold but from what I've read the results should be higher when warm?

I'm a little confused now as to whether I have an issue or not and whether I need to rush a head gasket change ready for the trackday!

Any advice?

jackherer

I've had quite a bit of water in my catch tank recently but it's all from condensation that has formed in the breather lines and the catch tank itself.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with those compression figures but if you want to be 100% sure you can do a test for combustion gasses on the expansion tank e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMBUSTION-LEAK-KIT-PETROL-DIESEL/dp/B018PM3ZFQ/

Wallby

I'll give the breathers a good clean then, change the oil and keep an eye on it, thanks!