• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Justin

Bilstein B6's and Eibach 7001's

Justin

Hello! 

Just finished fitting a set of new Bilstein B6 front shocks and Eibach 7001-120 spings. 

These replaced a set of B4's which had Skip Brown Roadspeed springs fitted. I needed to change the knackered top mounts and bearings and got the new shocks at a bargain price, so it seemed rude not to. 

The rear beam was lowered approx 25mm about 15 years ago, and the car sat nicely with the B4's and Roadspeed's fitted. FWIW the new EIbach's are very nearly the same uncompressed length as the Roadspeeds.  

Now though the front seems quite a bit lower though, and I'm concerned that there may be a bit of interference. The car drives a lot better than it did - but this is probably due to the new top mounts. The car still seems fairly level - just a bit low perhaps! 

low_zpstadlm4yo.jpg

What springs are others using with B6's? Engine is an alloy blocked Mi - do I need stiffer springs? Are the SBC springs likely to be that much stiffer than the Eibachs? 

Many thanks

Justin. 

What angle are your wishbones now?

FWIW, I was using SBC springs with a gti6 engine (i.e. heavier) and changed them for slightly stiffer ones (from a 106 gti ph2 iirc) to get the wishbones pointing downwards.  They were virtually flat with the SBC springs if I remember.

Justin

Wishbones are now virtually flat. I also changed the top mount rubbers from an unknown poly type which were rock hard to OE, so I imagine I've lost a good 10mm there too.

I might try the easy enough task of just changing the OE rubbers to the poly ones and see what that looks like.

Cheers,

Justin. 

Fallowsnz

I would be interesting to see the height difference between oe and poly top mounts, i'm running to same springs with oe rubbers but would be nice to raise it by a bit as my wishbones are virtually flat as well..

cheers

Neil

j_turnell

Ive got the 206 eibachs on mine, but I'm running a gti-6 with added charger gubbins up front. Wishbones are now pointing in the right direction. They were going the wrong way with 205 eibachs on.

Justin

With Baker BM rubbers the wishbones are just about pointing downwards...looks like a small increase in ride height but you can deffo see it on the wishbones. 

Justin.

Andy

I used Eibach 7003 instead of the 7001 which increased the ride height by 10mm and stiffened the front end marginally . The 7001’s give an excellent ride, particularly with Bilstein B6 dampers, but they were just a bit too low for me .

Bakes100
On 24/04/2018 at 8:15 PM, Justin said:

With Baker BM rubbers the wishbones are just about pointing downwards...looks like a small increase in ride height but you can deffo see it on the wishbones. 

Justin.

Do you have a photo of the height with the Baker BM rubbers fitted? As a comparison

Justin
On 25/04/2018 at 5:32 PM, Andy said:

I used Eibach 7003 instead of the 7001 which increased the ride height by 10mm and stiffened the front end marginally . The 7001’s give an excellent ride, particularly with Bilstein B6 dampers, but they were just a bit too low for me .

I can only agree with this.  After a couple of days and a good few miles, the car has settled and the wishbones are now virtually flat again. The upside is it's more comfortable that it ever was on the SBC Roadspeed springs.

Might have to get a set of 7003 springs on order. At least I'm getting the hang of taking the front suspension apart!

Anthony
1 hour ago, Justin said:

The upside is it's more comfortable that it ever was on the SBC Roadspeed springs.

Try it with the OE top mount rubbers - if it's anything like my experience (also running Eibach 7001's) you'll find it a revolution if you think it's comfortable now with the BBM ones.