• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Skimming head techniques

Richie-Van-GTi

I have access to a full machine shop with plenty of milling machines. Seems crazy I still get my heads skimmed elsewhere so wondered if anyone here skims their own heads and could offer some advice on how the clamp the heads down etc.

hoodygoodwood

I haven't skimmed a head for 20 years since I was a toolmaker and that was a Ford Crossflow which is an easy casting to bolt down on a mill , Ford Pinto heads were not too bad as well because the top and bottom faces are parallel . I would imagine an Mi head is straightforward for the same reason but a 1.6/1.9 8v head does not have parallel top and bottom faces so if I had to do one today I would need a way of holding the casting . You could use the exhaust manifold studs/tapped holes  to bolt it to an angle plate or you could remove the inlet and exhaust studs and hold the head in a large vice . Depends how well equipped your workshop is but we used to do a lot of 'home work' like this and someone had made up an 8 inch diameter flycutter to skim a head in one pass .

We used to have about 20 Bridgeport vertical spindle milling machines and they were well used so I would always clock the head square with a DTi on a long bar mounted in the collet , they were often well out of square .

petert

The place I use have a Bridgeport with a 200mm face mill cutter, loaded with only 3 teeth, irregularly spaced. It gives an impeccable finish. I'd suggest if you aren't confident on how to clamp, you're probably not up to the task and better off paying the cash.

Richie-Van-GTi

we have 3 x HAAS millers and 3 x XYZ millers, all 3 axis and all clocked regular as we make precision parts. I am confident to do it, just asking for advice on how people do it, theres always something new to learn :D