• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Rear wiper/wash not working

Both have stopped working. 

I am getting 12v at the rear wiper motor plug and also on the blue wire attached to the actual more itself and can hear relay clicking.  Have also swapped relay for a spare with no joy.  10v at the washer plug.  So it all seems to be getting power.

Therefore, will it be the stalk, seeing as both wiper and wash have ceased?

Thanks,

Pete

Anthony

If the relay clicks that suggests the stalk is working to at least some degree.

Is the earth good?  I can't remember how the rear wiper motor is wired now, but I'd guess it's earthed behind the passenger rear light along with the wiper motor - so worth checking/ruling that out.

Thanks - forgot about that - will give that a go...

Turns out the motor was seized.  What was confusing me was that the washer pump was also not working - turns out that was seized too!  Anyway, managed to un-seize the wiper motor, but cannot get the pump to work properly.  No matter, they seem cheap enough - £8 from Eurocarparts - anyone tried these?  Cheap enough not to worry about really, but I'd rather not bugger about with it, if they're useless/don't fit etc from the off.

As for the actual wiper motor, I haven't fitted it all back together yet, just got the motor working, apparently.  However, am I right in saying one can no longer get new wiper motors for the rear?  I think that's the case for the front.  Anyone tried a motor from a different model on the rear?  I know 106 ones (I think) will fit on the front.  Anything similar for the rear, in case my "fix" doesn't work?!

jackherer

You can still get them new, do a google for Valeo 579084. They're about £190 though.

If you need a new one let me know, I have a boxed one I would sell for less than that if I can find it...

jj007205

Newbie questions:

Is there a trick to installing the washer tube back in the "rear sprayer". Tube has a small right angle connector. Alternately how does one safely remove the 'sprayer' and refit as it appears easier given lackof space in the tailgate recess.

to test rear wiper motor off the car. what are the pinouts on the black connector?

thanks in advance

pug_ham

You should have just enough length of tube to allow you to feed it through the hole in the tailgate skin & connect it to the bottom of the spray nozzle which is a push fit into the tailgate skin but you can just get the 90' connector into the back of the nozzle using your fingers, although it is fiddly.

To get the spray nozzle out, you just need to wiggle it a bit as it is only held in by a small flange on the nozzle.

Not sure on the pin out for the connector on the motor but you should be able to power it off the car, doesn't the connector fit onto a relay?

g

jj007205

Thanks have a right angle connector, yes very fiddly :-) Will try to remove nozzle as thats prob easiest. WIsh me luck.

Have a connector and relay however some wires cut/taped up, and unclear what they are.

Anyone idea what the green/yellow (Looks like M 365) and the yellow (28 R) connect to?

583583695_cutwires.thumb.JPG.896421814d950c428f79c469e1a80d81.JPG

Any help appreciated.

Gohn

I haven't been in that area for ages

its difficult fixing old wiring modifications

not sure how helpful it is but

pretty sure the green/yellow is the earth, almost all the earths are that colour, I think it had a loop that bolted to the hatch frame?

jj007205

Agree likely earth given color. Need to findout where the M365 green goes to.

Gohn

you may already have done so ..

but have you checked the earth cluster at the left rear, just next to the brake light

I think most of the rear lights, plus maybe the fuel pump? earth at that point

that M365 wire will probably plug onto the earth cluster there

jj007205

Yes, thanks, earth is good. Needed a little sanding. Fuel pump sorted, now starts etc. Just this darn rear wiper :-) 

jj007205

Turns out the green/yellow was indeed ground and yellow, part of the 5 pin relay.  

Thanks to all, including "bacardincoke" for sending info from his car!!