• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz205

Going to the ring, risky? What prep work?

Gaz205

Either excitedly or stupidly I've booked my 205 onto the ferry along with a Golf R, TVR chimera and a silly modded skoda. 

I was taking my Polo Gti but I've now written that off :blush:

This isn't a thrash it and track it trip and there's no intention at all to put it on the ring at all unless on the day I fancy a steady drive round it.

Are there any components other than checking the obvious brakes, and fluids, hoses, radiator, tyres and general MOT stuff that may show their 30 year old age on what will undoubtedly be a 700-1000 mile mostly motorway speed trip?

Ive never had it on a motorway for longer than 50 miles, do these things tend to munch up the miles?

the one thing that scares me is being at the side of the road.

cheers

welshpug

get ADAC recovery cover, make sure its roadworthy and crack on.

a 1.6 will be at the pumps more regularly than a 1.9 when charging down the motorways, V6 will use even less fuel in my experience

if a few of you are going you could chip in and get a taxi lap, I think there's 4 companies doing it these days, Dale Lomas has Jaaags to play with this year I think, Apex Nurburg have a few different cars, BMW and McLaren taxi cars and a few other cars you could hire, theres rent for ring across the road that have suzuki swifts.

Tom Fenton

They will happily enough do motorway miles but personally I like to keep the speed down to 70-ish as otherwise the revs end up being pretty high.

A good check through the car as you say and then Euro breakdown that will repatriate the car is a must IMO. Any you buy check the small print carefully.

Having gone there doing at least one lap of the ‘Ring is an absolute must, depends on when you are travelling but the weeknight evening sessions if running are usually much quieter and a nice time to do a few laps before getting into the Pistonklause for a steak.

speno

No excuse for the 5 mile trip to our meets then once a month now ;o) 

Gaz205
57 minutes ago, speno said:

No excuse for the 5 mile trip to our meets then once a month now ;o) 

Haha not at all now I know it won't Rev it's tits off at idle ...

thanks Tom and WP. I have European breakdown but I need to check that it'll get my car home.

the lads I'm going with have been before and we will be hopefully paying for a ride or 2.

i was expecting a long list of things bound to go wrong on a run but clearly it's just a case of putting up with the gearbox.

really excited by it to be honest and it'll be nice to actually use the 205.

we are going for a week at the end of June. They've looked at the itinerary and is it tourist days or something like that? Well anyway there's a lot of them while we are there.

ill make sure I mention that steak place too

Edited by Gaz205

speno

We are doing a few drive outs this year possibly one in May come on that to test it . 

Gaz205

Sounds good, I'm away a lot of early May but keep me posted 

Telf

Meets in Chesterfield? I used to live in Totley - so not far away, used to run my first 205 down the bypass to chesterfield. As a lad we used to meet near the Owls footy ground on some scrap of land that had a mobile café.

I  wont ever forget the name of it  - Greasy Vera's. All the local youths used to rock up in their Micras, 205s,Metros and the posh lot in the 205 GT and GTIs (and golfs).

Anyway... where abouts do you guys meet round there?

Gaz205

That'll be the infamous 'dronny bypass'. Many a car beat its factory top speed coming die that hill!

although I've not been on one I believe they meet at the highwayman which is a pub on the main road leading out to the peaks. Closest destination is Chatsworth house or bakewell. I've heard greasy Vera now lives in Chatsworth with the Duke haha