• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PetrolheadGarage

Peugeot 205 Style 1.1 TU1 to GTi-6 (XU10J4RS engine) conversion

PetrolheadGarage

Dear mates, my name is Ramón Fernández, from Spain, it's a pleasure to greet you.

I’m 32 years old, mechanical engineer and creator of PetrolheadGarage.com. In this website we are a group of non-professional friends that we share, in the most detailed way, our projects, restorations, techniques, passion and knowledge about classic cars with the only goal of learning and enjoying.

After sharing the fully restoration of a Mini 1275cc SPI ’95 we are starting our next project: Making a Peugeot 205 Style 1.1 TU1 to GTi-6 (XU10J4RS engine) conversion. This is the car:

Peugeot-205-Style-1.1-código-de-motor-TU

This project, like that of the Mini we have made, we intend to record it and share it with everyone in our web, Youtube Channel y Facebook, showing each detailed step, how to do it and, above all, the challenges we will face.

My knowledge about the 205 and / or any other group model is very limited, I have a world to learn and I’m reading & studying in this great house, so I would like to gather in this post all the information that we can all gather to carry out this project [/ b] . The objective is, as I said, to record it, but to do this it has to be done first, and to do it we have to have all the information possible. With this I hope that, together, we can create the largest and best collection of videotutorials about such an interesting project..

The information I have collected so far about what we need is ( TO CONFIRM – ):

Bodywork:

Engine:

XU10J4RS (RFS) coming from a 1998 306 GTI-6. 120 kW.

Engine mounts:

Gearbox:

• Gearbox BE3 coming from a Xsara VTS.

Diff:

We have bought this Quaife ATB diff QDF3H de Quaife ATB

Clutch kit:

• The 215mm standard of the Mi16 / BX16. Clutch kit for the 20TA55 box (BE3 / 5 of the Xsara VTS). A street 215mm will be searched, unless someone recommends otherwise. An example here

Flywheel: : 215 mm with OEM ref: 0532F2 coming from these car models: Xsara VTS, 306 2.0G (engine RFXXU10J2), 406 Coupe (S1/S2) 2.0 (132 Cv) (engine RFVXU10J4R), 405 2.0 (engine RFXXU10J2).

Engine cradle:

• Engine cradle coming from a 205 GTi.

Rear axle:

• Rear axle coming from a 309 with brakes & suspensión arms from a Xsara VTS.

(I'll continue ASAP)

Thank you very much,

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

PetrolheadGarage

Driveshaft / Wheel hubs:

We already have the 1.9 205 GTi wheel hubs, the VTS gearbox and the Quaife diff, so I think we could use the 205 GTi driveshafts. We have to confirm it.

Brakes:

We have to confirm it, but we have the 306 GTi front brake calipers and for the rear axle we’ll use the Xsara VTS brakes. For the master cylinder maybe we’ll use the 406 non-abs or the 306 GTi MC.

Steering:

Today we have a 205 power steering, but we have to confirm if we could use the Xsara VTS 2.0 RFS steering.

Suspension:

We have a Bilstein suspension mounted right now in the donor car. It remains to confirm what model and specifications it has.

Engine radiator:

We have bought the original radiator of the 306 GTi and other from a 205 TD. I think the 306’s it wont fit, so maybe we’ll use the TD’s.

Cooling sleeves:

We have bought a complete kit from Pug1off.

Oil cooler / exchanger:

We´ll use one coming from a Renault 19 TD that is mounted in the donor car.

Throttle cable:

Of a 405 or a universal one.

Canister:

Install a 306 solenoid valve to eliminate the one that comes standard with the 205 (by vacuum).

Motor wiring / ECU / Frame:

We have purchased the original + ECU wiring from the 306 GTi. I found some good info regarind the adaptation this wiring to a 205 GTi, but nothing related to the 1.1 TU1 we have for this proiject. If anyone could help us we’ll be awesome!

As I say, we are collecting information and all this is to be confirmed. If anyone wants to collaborate by contributing their experience, proposing other options, websites where to find spare parts and / or technical information will be more than welcome. All this we will use in our project, we will gather all the information and wisdom received and we will share it in our videos mentioning the collaboration with this holy house :)

We continue to research and wish to learn all together;)

jackherer
36 minutes ago, PetrolheadGarage said:

Driveshaft / Wheel hubs:

We already have the 1.9 205 GTi wheel hubs, the VTS gearbox and the Quaife diff, so I think we could use the 205 GTi driveshafts. We have to confirm it.

That will work fine.  You'll need a few parts from a 205 GTI BE3 gearbox such as the clutch fork and arm though.

42 minutes ago, PetrolheadGarage said:

Engine radiator:

We have bought the original radiator of the 306 GTi and other from a 205 TD. I think the 306’s it wont fit, so maybe we’ll use the TD’s.

A normal 205 GTI rad will be fine, the TD rad is a lot thicker and the 306GTI6 engine has a long inlet manifold so you might have trouble making it fit.

38 minutes ago, PetrolheadGarage said:

Motor wiring / ECU / Frame:

We have purchased the original + ECU wiring from the 306 GTi. I found some good info regarind the adaptation this wiring to a 205 GTi, but nothing related to the 1.1 TU1 we have for this proiject. If anyone could help us we’ll be awesome!

I think it should be the same as a GTI, you should find two brown multiplugs in the cabin to connect the engine loom. The 1.1 fuel pump might need to be changed though.

• Like 1

welshpug

is the donor car a carb or spi?

• Like 1

PetrolheadGarage
12 minutes ago, jackherer said:

That will work fine.  You'll need a few parts from a 205 GTI BE3 gearbox such as the clutch fork and arm though.

A normal 205 GTI rad will be fine, the TD rad is a lot thicker and the 306GTI6 engine has a long inlet manifold so you might have trouble making it fit.

I think it should be the same as a GTI, you should find two brown multiplugs in the cabin to connect the engine loom. The 1.1 fuel pump might need to be changed though.

Thanks a lot for your advices Kieran! :)

PetrolheadGarage
1 minute ago, welshpug said:

is the donor car a carb or spi?

The donor car it's an original 205 1.7D, but when we bought it it had an 1.9 TD engine coming from a Xantia. :P We wanted this only for the engine crane, rear axle , breaks, etc, because our main idea was to install all these parts in the 1.1 TU1 car (the red one of the previous pictures). This 1.1 TU1 is carb, so maybe this will complicate the adaptation of the wiring, right? 

Thanks Mei!

jackherer

I saw the late front and rear lights and assumed it had injection!

You'll definitely need to add a high pressure pump and return line.

• Like 1

PetrolheadGarage
3 minutes ago, jackherer said:

I saw the late front and rear lights and assumed it had injection!

You'll definitely need to add a high pressure pump and return line.

What I thought, thank you very much for confirming it Kieran. For more details the VIN of the red car is: VSC20CH1225017XXX

welshpug

you'll need a gti tank and fuel pipes, when I helped convert a 93 1.1 Van we used a full gti wiring loom, as there's quite a bit of wiring not present on base models for the instrument cluster as well as the fuel pump.

By engine cradle I guess you mean the front subframe which the lower wishbones and steering rack are attached to?  in which case yes you will need the GTI version.

the GTI/Diesel not a TD radiator is the one that will fit and work with the Coolant hoses.

• Like 1

PetrolheadGarage
14 hours ago, welshpug said:

you'll need a gti tank and fuel pipes, when I helped convert a 93 1.1 Van we used a full gti wiring loom, as there's quite a bit of wiring not present on base models for the instrument cluster as well as the fuel pump.

By engine cradle I guess you mean the front subframe which the lower wishbones and steering rack are attached to?  in which case yes you will need the GTI version.

the GTI/Diesel not a TD radiator is the one that will fit and work with the Coolant hoses.

Thank you very much for your advices, Mei. Do you know any website where I can buy the full 205 GTI wiring loom, new o rebuilt? I would prefer not to buy it from a private person. 

Yes, when I said "engine cradle" it's front subframe, please forgive my english :) I have already the 205 GTi ;)

Thanks for the advice regarding the radiator, I take note of it because I thought the TD will be perfect for this conversion.

welshpug

If you have the Radiator already there is no harm in trying it, but you may well fit it will not fit as the core is 50mm as opposed to about 30mm of the Diesel/GTI item.

Why not a private sale for the loom?  unavailable new and most likely a lot cheaper from an individual than a company selling used parts.

PetrolheadGarage
19 minutes ago, jackherer said:

Miles @ pugracing.com will sell you a reconditioned loom https://www.205gtidrivers.com/profile/43-miles/

Thanks Kieran, I'll contact him right now,

Mei, thanks again for your help. We'll try to adapt the silicone hoses to the TD radiator. ;)