• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dicky20014

Engine oil Sample

dicky20014

Hello,

I'm curious as to whether any one has had their engine oil sent away to be tested before and if so, who they used, was it worthwhile?

We regularly do this in the industry to find out the condition of various equipment and it popped into my head that it might be a good idea to do it with the 205 to see if there were any indicators of early wear etc,

Rich

SootySport

Don't think you need to go to extreme testing methods. 

Just a taste of the oil reveals if coolant is present after draining some the old oil. 

Also pour some into a glass jar let it stand a few hours also reveals coolant as the oil floats on top.

If you remove the sump, look closely for metallic glitter, signs of worn bearings.

Ozymandis
9 hours ago, SootySport said:

Don't think you need to go to extreme testing methods. 

Just a taste of the oil reveals if coolant is present after draining some the old oil. 

Also pour some into a glass jar let it stand a few hours also reveals coolant as the oil floats on top.

If you remove the sump, look closely for metallic glitter, signs of worn bearings.

"Taste", dont do that its potentially harmful.

I havent had an oil sample tested since the 90`s, it was easy enough and not expensive, you sent a small sample off and they sent you an analysis, the lab we used I cant remember much about though, sorry.

The results were comprehensive and you could tell a lot if you knew how to interpret them.

Google it there`s lots of info on the web.

SootySport
On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Ozymandis said:

"Taste", dont do that its potentially harmful.

I havent had an oil sample tested since the 90`s, it was easy enough and not expensive, you sent a small sample off and they sent you an analysis, the lab we used I cant remember much about though, sorry.

The results were comprehensive and you could tell a lot if you knew how to interpret them.

Google it there`s lots of info on the web.

I don't mean drink a pint of the stuff:D.