• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

parry

Spooks vs Baker Radiator

parry

Hey Guys,

Since my big shunt in 2016 I have replaced my Nissen Radiator that was destroyed with a spooks radiator and now the car runs hot. After 10 laps the temps are at 102deg c. I also reduced the oil cooler size as my oil temps previously were running too low, under 100c. The smaller oil cooler is probably adding to my heat problem.

I was looking at the Baker twin core radiator but it is shorter so less surface area. Do you guys have experience with Baker system, will it help my cause?

My race car has 190hp ATW and runs in Australian hot conditions.

Any advise before I buy would be appreciated. BTW: I enquired about a custom built on here in Australia with 55mm Core but the price of a custom is about $1700 AUD (about 1000 quid)

Regards,

Parrypost-4309-0-13863600-1355867255_thumb.jpg

JeffR

You can get a quality alloy radiator a lot cheaper than $1700 in Aust Parry.

I had a new 65mm core recently made by Race Radiators in Melb for less than $900.

IMG_0424.JPG

speaksgeek

Having a tightly fitted shroud, so the air goes through the radiator well is also going to be important.

Andy

I have a Baker BM rad in my car. However, (1) I live in the u.k and (2) my engine makes 170hp at the flywheel, so the comparison is not obvious . Now the plus side. Even on the hottest days here last summer( it must have got , oh 26c) , stuck in traffic, the rad had absolutely no difficulty keeping the engine cool. On the move, it does the job with ease. 

I do appreciate that it would not be a cheap experiment , as they are about £300 here, plus your shipping costs . A lot of cash to,lay out to discover that something does not quite do what is required .

Tom Fenton

I’ve used one on a 250bhp 205 with a water cooled Turbo. No issues at all. Yes it’s shorter but it’s a lot thicker. Carries a good volume of water.

• Like 1

welshpug

if it worked fine on a Nissens rad I'd get a Nissens rad again, plenty of high power NA engines here running them.

welshpug

Baker rad is a good bit cheaper than spooks, which looks to be single core not double core of the BBM radtec unit  (spooks one looks very much like a radtec too)

parry
12 hours ago, welshpug said:

if it worked fine on a Nissens rad I'd get a Nissens rad again, plenty of high power NA engines here running them.

The fact that I have reduced the oil cooler size to get oil temps higher than 100c I think is adding to my heating problems. So I dont think the Nissen will cut it anymore. Oil now runs 115c which is perfect, but in return, it has increased water temps to 107c. So I am thinking the baker thickness will be a good thing and then I could also build a shroud. During the last race, it was 32c day and we did 100 laps. We had a makeshift shroud out of cardboard and gaffer tape and that helped reduce tempts to 100c which was ok.

parry
12 hours ago, welshpug said:

Baker rad is a good bit cheaper than spooks, which looks to be single core not double core of the BBM radtec unit  (spooks one looks very much like a radtec too)

BTW: I have the cheap Spooks radiator not the competition one. I think I found my problem...The competition one is 500quid!!!!!

petert

I saw 49 deg C on the road in Adelaide this last week. That's the real temp on a hot day of air entering the radiator. I don't think the Nissen rad is up to Aus conditions. Was your quote from that place in Brisbane?

I also agree that quality shrouding is vital..........(laughs).

oilman

I can't help with the radiator, but it might be worth using something like Red Line Waterwetter, Motul Mocool or Millers Extra Cool to help with the cooling.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-4142-antifreeze-coolant.aspx

They can help bring the temp down by up to 15C.

Cheers

Tim

• Thanks 1