• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

16v205

Swap Jenvey manifold for Colin Satchell?

16v205

Hello,

Anyone got any direct experience in swapping out a Jenvey 16v manifold for a Colin Satchell item on their TB'd mi16/gti6?

I have just emailed them about supplying one and to hopefully get some installed pictures on vehicles but was wondering if anyone had any real experience and what you thought about it. How did it fit in your car with the air filter on etc?

Cheers,

Rich

welshpug

Miles may have some.

I just went straight for the Satchell inlet.

Alan_M

Out of interest, what is the going rate for one of the Satchell manifolds?

jackherer

I took a Jenvey manifold off of my basically standard Mi16 and put a Satchell manifold on, after lots of messing around at Emerald with different length trumpets it made 197BHP but I ended up settling on some slightly shorter trumpets that 'only' made 192BHP peak power (157 ATW) but had much more mid range.

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/169447-mi16-with-jenveys-mapped-at-emerald/

When it had the Jenvey manifold I had a not very believable RR graph claiming 182BHP but only ~135 ATW and it felt like a standard Mi16 to drive, possibly slower! With some different trumpets and better mapping it would probably have made a bit more but I don't think it would have done as well as the Satchell one by a fair margin.

Mikey S
16 hours ago, 16v205 said:

Hello,

Anyone got any direct experience in swapping out a Jenvey 16v manifold for a Colin Satchell item on their TB'd mi16/gti6?

I have just emailed them about supplying one and to hopefully get some installed pictures on vehicles but was wondering if anyone had any real experience and what you thought about it. How did it fit in your car with the air filter on etc?

Cheers,

Rich

If your passing Alcester anytime soon you can come and have a look at mine in person Rich. I'm not running an air filter yet but its in the pipeline.

mike

welshpug
8 hours ago, Alan_M said:

Out of interest, what is the going rate for one of the Satchell manifolds?

£180 I believe, that may be with you supplying the donor manifold though.

16v205

Hi guys,

Thank you all very much for the info, it's all appreciated. I'm hoping satchell engineering can email me back this week with some more details.

16v205
11 hours ago, jackherer said:

I took a Jenvey manifold off of my basically standard Mi16 and put a Satchell manifold on, after lots of messing around at Emerald with different length trumpets it made 197BHP but I ended up settling on some slightly shorter trumpets that 'only' made 192BHP peak power (157 ATW) but had much more mid range.

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/169447-mi16-with-jenveys-mapped-at-emerald/

When it had the Jenvey manifold I had a not very believable RR graph claiming 182BHP but only ~135 ATW and it felt like a standard Mi16 to drive, possibly slower! With some different trumpets and better mapping it would probably have made a bit more but I don't think it would have done as well as the Satchell one by a fair margin.

Your results are just what I was looking for, I had a read of your build, very interesting. 

My engine has a tuned induction length already so I've had a bit of practice at that bit, albeit 10 years ago now, but it's great to hear that with a bit of playing the manifold yeilds good results especially compared to the Jenvey one which doesn't look bad to me anyway

16v205
5 hours ago, Mikey S said:

If your passing Alcester anytime soon you can come and have a look at mine in person Rich. I'm not running an air filter yet but its in the pipeline.

mike

I will certainly take you up on that offer, thank you.

I can pop over whenever it's convenient to you, I'm not really working for the next 2 weeks. 

jackherer
11 hours ago, 16v205 said:

Your results are just what I was looking for, I had a read of your build, very interesting. 

My engine has a tuned induction length already so I've had a bit of practice at that bit, albeit 10 years ago now, but it's great to hear that with a bit of playing the manifold yeilds good results especially compared to the Jenvey one which doesn't look bad to me anyway

It might be worth looking at injector positioning too, I didn't have time to experiment but the Satchell manifold still has the OEM injector bosses which is what I am using, I blocked off the bosses on the TB's.

16v205

I will be running staged injection so being able to use the bosses in the satchell manifold and a simple fuel rail is a real bonus. Im not too sure yet if i'll use the injectors in the Jenveys or mount some further up stream in the mouth of the air horns. 

jackherer

The position of the injector bosses in the Jenveys ends up at an unusual angle but I'd say it is definitely worth experimenting with, you don't know until you try it.

johniban
On 08/01/2018 at 3:59 PM, jackherer said:

The position of the injector bosses in the Jenveys ends up at an unusual angle but I'd say it is definitely worth experimenting with, you don't know until you try it.

Would you say its better to use the injectors in the manifold then rather than on the bodies? i have bunged the manifold and run them in the throttle bodies

jackherer

Like I said above I didn't have time on the rolling road to experiment with injector positioning.

Theory says there are pros and cons to both locations depending on things like RPM so it's hard to say which is 'better'. Especially with the odd angle the injector bosses in the Jenveys point when used upside down which might wipe out any advantages from having the injectors further out.

I chose to use the manifold location because I knew it would definitely work and I wasn't 100% sure about the outer location without trying it.

welshpug

angle of them in the bodies is a plus point not a negative.