Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

Yet another XU9/10 engine build

Andy

A bit more gearbox progress yesterday, and one minor glitch. Photographs tell the story to date , but what they do not tell is my first attempt, when I got as far as bolting up the main casing ( hence traces of ‘Threebond 1211’ )  and then found reverse very difficult to engage . I decided that I had been  at home to Mr. Stupid and put reverse idler gear on upside down .Upper casing removed  and I had . I suppose I could have left it , as one side of the idler is worn where it engages on the synchroniser hub and the other isn’t , but then from new neither side would be worn. Anyway, done now and content with progress so far. 

On the engine front, the machine shop hopes to start next week, more parts ordered so when they arrive I will give an engine update .

617B0F8B-3C69-4B0A-9A20-45DCD724C795.jpeg

6F08356D-93DE-4D99-9ECE-768ACF9ED9E3.jpeg

BA9C1322-B1D5-4BD6-A67E-9D1AFAD67BB4.jpeg

welshpug

the reverse idler teeth are cut that way, they will only work the one way.

Andy

Thanks Mei. That explains why I could not select reverse, hence the disassembly to correct my mistake . Although and error, I assumed that , because the idler gear is straight cut, it would work either way. Clearly from your comment, that is not the case .

Andy

More progress. Main housing bolted up. All the bears behve themselves. 5th gear cover to install , followed by my shiny new Quaife ATB diff and the ‘box is complete 

BD4F6170-2B57-4139-850F-1007FBB9251D.jpeg

Andy

Nearly finished. ATB installed. Just the clutch fork and arm to go and it is ready to hide under the bench for a few months 

39ECA9E9-4D18-463D-BE25-C1EC417E2EFD.jpeg

E9F8FEEF-1573-49AB-BD56-19BF84043776.jpeg

40E99A4A-20F6-4D7D-AF39-34DEB1F97EC4.jpeg

Tom Fenton

Andy, have you checked the diff for clearance, sometimes they look to drop in ok but bind on the casing once you have torqued the cover up. Check it still rotates once you have put the cover on!

I will say that I can’t remember if it’s the Quaife ATB or Tranx plate diffs that do this, or both of them?

A small belt sander makes quick work of what is needed clearance wise, it’s only a small area.

Biggles

Pretty sure I had to relieve the casing a touch for my Tranx.

jackherer

I've heard that about plate diffs but I've fitted 3 or 4 Quaifes with no issues. It's worth a check though.

Andy

Thanks all. I did check. No clearance issues . In fact, lots of clearance. What did catch me out was reading the Manual and getting confused with the shim required to preload the taper bearings on the diff . I thought I must have mislayed it, but on fitting the speedo housing, I concluded that there was no way on God’s earth that a 1.5mm shim was going anywhere near the gap between the speedo housing and the diff casing. Clearly by the time Peugeot got around to the BE3 box they decided that their manufacturing of gearbox cases was consistent enough to preload with diff bearings just with the speedo housing .