• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Cometic MLS head gasket on an XU9J4

Andy

Despite a search, I have not found much on here regarding the use of an MLS head gasket on the  xu9j4 engine. Sweet badger used  a really thin one on one of his engine builds to increase the c.r. My question is about how much liner protrusion to use with such a gasket. I understand that the wet linered Rover K series engines often use an MLS gasket with 3 thou protrusion , but that is a different engine constructed differently . The motive by the way for a Cometic is that the bore is 85mm so standard gaskets will not do

cheers. 

Andy

B1ack_Mi16

What about a standard XU10 gasket? But they are maybe 86mm++ ?

Not sure about suitability of the cometic on alloy block.

Andy

Yes. 86mm would be o.k, but are the xu10j4 gaskets  not MLS as standard? 

petert

0.003"

Andy

Thank you. Very helpful Peter as always. Any yes I am Cycling, but Garmin is not uploading, so I have become a closet turbo/track rider who is too nesh to venture out on icy roads

petert

Very lean here too. We had 44 deg two days in a row. Worse than rain.

SweetBadger

Hi, yes, I used one on a almost standard engine to good effect. (inlet camshaft and manifold were the only mods)

i was replacing the valve stem seals on the engine, so just bunged in the cometic gasket when I put it back together (no head skim, just a tidy up and clean).

I didn’t check the liner protrusion at the time, and the gasket did eventually go between cyl 1 and the the water jacket (after three years of hard use inc a number track days). So I’d definitely recommend ensuring the liner protrusion is spot on, and that the head has the correct finish for an mls gasket if you use one.

Andy

Cheers. Thanks for that . So with care , should work well . Nice to have an option of both mls and composite given that both need similar liner protrusions 

welshpug

you could drop brett sims a line, i have heard of an 85mm bore mi16 he built for a guy i know in mid wales.

wrc engines were an 85mm bore alloy xu as well.

Andy

Thanks for the information. Will do.