• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SootySport

Looking for a 205

SootySport

Hi all,   Looking for my 1st. GTI but surprised at the asking prices, £5000+ for a reasonable non rusty one that doesn't need too much work.   I have seen a 1.4GT near to me and may consider buying and converting to a 1.6GTI, should be feasible as they are both carb fed engines, what do you think?    

welshpug

gti is not carb fed, hence the i.

there are plenty of gti's about for less than 5k, you just need to look and be patient.

dawning

Would be hard to turn a gt into a GTi as the gt is 5 door and the GTi is 3 door! Also gt is rare, rarer than the gti if I was going to make a gti replica I would look for a good pre cat 3dr non sunroof shell.

SootySport

As you can see Im a 205 newbie,  I did see a couple of 1.6 engine cars on carbs with GTI badging.  obviously just wannabees or  injection engines reverted to carburation,  one had motorbike carbs.   Just been reading Wikipedia on the 205 models and now more Au Fait on which model is which.

I'll take my time and see what comes up for sale, two are on my radar and just need time to view them, not easy this time of the year.

barneys66

Welcome, and good luck with your search. 

We all had to start somewhere, so good on you for reading up on them, and this place is an excellent resource too. 

Keep us posted on your hunt! 

Leslie green

Loads of cars out there as they survived in big numbers  but they are all old now and most will have problems and rust unless you are paying top dollar , 1.6 gti will be cheaper to buy than a 1.9  but they all cost the same to fix and you don't buy an old car without having to spend cash fixing it from time to time .

Many cars on Ebay have been relisted time and time again so are clearly not worth the asking price.

SootySport
2 hours ago, Leslie green said:

Loads of cars out there as they survived in big numbers  but they are all old now and most will have problems and rust unless you are paying top dollar , 1.6 gti will be cheaper to buy than a 1.9  but they all cost the same to fix and you don't buy an old car without having to spend cash fixing it from time to time .

Many cars on Ebay have been relisted time and time again so are clearly not worth the asking price.

Yes, I noticed that.    I have a couple of cars lined up to see, one is a GTI6 conversion  http://www.pugsforsale.co.uk/ads/205-gti-4/ and another a long time stored 1.6GTI that needs recomissioning https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711191394313?price-from=3500&postcode=ss74hu&model=205&advertising-location=at_cars&make=PEUGEOT&price-to=7000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&radius=1501&page=1 .  Body work is not my  strongpoint, just don't have any patience, I give it to a neighbour to do but mechanicals stuff doesn't phase me, I have all the tools required. Have restored a couple of Jaguars and loads of Triumphs in the past.    Last 6years I have spent  enjoying a semi retirement with a Westfield doing many trackdays and tuning it, I would regard it as a the Triggers Broom version.

Not the best time of the year to view and buy a car I know .  Any comments on the above 205's I welcome

Leslie green

Sound like you know you way around a resto project then ! These are just my opinions after a a quick look ..

Blue one ... high mileage, wrong engine had rear of sills fitted but never painted , id expect plenty more rust too.On the plus side mot and ready to go and an ok price was a 1.9 so option to put back to standard later.

Red car ..offroad 10 years so a resto project at best tyres brake pipes hoses at will all usually be rotten , if a dealer thought it would mot they would have put it in. May have had a rear bumper as its a different colour and valence hanging off so check for accident damage. Racing bucket seats fitted in front by look of it so original seats gone and hard to find now wrong wheels and after lying 10 years engine could be bad and it's way too expensive for a non running 1.6 

My own car was off-road 10 years and bought as a resto project and has a fair few issues including the famous 205 gti cracked block to sort .

Edited by Leslie green

Telf

If you are patient a decent one will appear. Ignore the £10k stuff on ebay. Pointless. You will get one between 2 to 5k if you are patient. Spend some time looking at the restorations on here and see where they rot etc. Mines going through a restoration right now . See RUST,  rust and more rust! But loads of folk on here are repairing sprucing up or generally working on many 205s.

I my opinion try and get an original spec one. So look for correct lights for the year and phase, correct trim, no after market clocks etc. Anything that's been modified I'd personally steer clear of for a first GTI unless you are looking for a power monster.

Lastly if you find one ask on the forum if there is anyone local that can come and look at it with you. Most guys on here have seen the major gremlins these cars have.

Good luck, be patient and keep us posted.

Edited by Telf

SootySport

Thanks for your comments.    I read some of the Rust. More rust thread------reminds me of once a long, long time ago looking for an MGB roadster to restore, must have looked at a dozen before I realised there  was no such thing as rot free MGB. Hopefully looking for 205 won't end the same way. 

Spoke to the guy with the Blue GTI6 conversion and arranged to meet up next Saturday. He says the cills were repair panelled for the MOT which it passed but the rest of the body has some rust bubbles here and there ---- I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb.   Quite like the idea of the GTI6 engine,  I was planning a change to a more oomph engine anyway for a winter track car, the Westfield is damn cold this time of the year.

The red resto job is on the way to Birmingham so I'll hopefully have enough time to view that as well. As it's a service station I'll ask them if they put it on a ramp for a good poke around underneath.

Telf

Just my personnel opinion but if you own a GTI and are serious about looking after it  'unpainted sills and a few rust bubbles ' says to me you as the buyer will inherit a load of trouble.

I wouldn't even bother going to look at it.

The red one - possibly a mis-mash of a phase 1.5 and phase 2 , big exhaust - white dials

article here may help you ID the different phases

https://classicregister.com/id-guides/how-identify-1987-1990-peugeot-205-gti-phase-15-19l

https://classicregister.com/id-guides/how-identify-1990-1994-peugeot-205-gti-phase-2-19l

speno

My friend has a phase two 1.6  in red 

93k with good history , never been welded 

power steering , electric windows , central locking etc 

cambelt and pump just been done and serviced 

air box pipes and origianal sterero all there 

he is looking for for £4250 for it 

12 months Mot  

I can pass details on 

SootySport
5 hours ago, speno said:

My friend has a phase two 1.6  in red 

93k with good history , never been welded 

power steering , electric windows , central locking etc 

cambelt and pump just been done and serviced 

air box pipes and origianal sterero all there 

he is looking for for £4250 for it 

12 months Mot  

I can pass details on 

Yes, I'm interested,   where is he?      I'll PM my phone number and email address, hopefully he'll send me quality photos not taken on a phone.    Just tell him to phone me, leave a message if necessary and I'll phone back.

SootySport

Well, I've re-homed a Red 1.6GTI 1991  from Tom in Castle Donnington.    No detectable rust and has just been tested with flying colours.  It was off the road 10 years and does need a lot of cosmetic work to make it look original, how far I go with it hasn't been decided yet, could be a long term project. 

• Like 2

SootySport

Here she is all taxed and insured, only £103 insurance which I was surprised at.   Only two niggles found so far,  electric window switches are the wrong way round, and keeps cutting out when cold started,  ok after a couple of minutes.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Leslie green

Looks quite tidy in the pics

barneys66

Agreed - congratulations!

SootySport

Yes it's a rust free body shell but has been in storage about 9 years.    The suspension, steering and braking system need upgrading which is  relatively simple bolt on work. . I'll be cleaning the underside and be doing some rust prevention work, something like Shultz sealer and treating the cavities with Dinitrol.   Hopefully a steam clean will clean the muck off enough to reveal the original painted surface.  I'm just driving it to see what else needs doing before I formulate a plan and come the Spring will set to work on it. 

Andya

Great potential, I look forward to the updates......

SootySport

Not much done lately as it's too cold for fiddling around.     Have been driving it around town and so far,   idle speed is high and difficult to start,  clonks from the front when engaging 1st gear and moving off,   shuddering at 70mph from the front.   I assume the SAD needs testing and throttle control/cable need adjusting and  I have a Haynes manual now so can see how to fix and adjust.   The others noises at the front usually mean an engine mount or bolt is broke or loose.   Bring on warmer days.

jackherer

The subframe bolts might need tightening, that can make a clunking noise when pulling away.

welshpug
On 1/18/2018 at 8:00 PM, SootySport said:

something like Shultz sealer

please don't, that stuff is horrible, it screams rotbox patched up to hide more grot when I see a car covered in that.

SootySport
13 minutes ago, jackherer said:

The subframe bolts might need tightening, that can make a clunking noise when pulling away.

Cheers,   I'll be checking them.

SootySport
4 minutes ago, welshpug said:

please don't, that stuff is horrible, it screams rotbox patched up to hide more grot when I see a car covered in that.

So does any type of rubberised underseal but it does stop stone damage to the underside paint long term.      What do you suggest?

welshpug

I would suggest the original stuff, it does the job pretty well given its lasted 30 years.

shultz is not rubberised, its just horrible black sticky s*it.