• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Possible Cracked Block - options?

ATK

Had a small pool of coolant under the Pug recently. Happens every few days.

never overheated as its not losing much coolant.

can’t see any obvious leaks in rad or pipework.

the leak is where you’d normally see an oil leak which makes me wonder if this is a cracked block. 

Need to get it up on the ramps to have a good look, any tips on what to look for? Any other symptoms I should look for?

I certainly hope it isn’t a cracked block - but if it is - what are my options? 

welshpug

there's only one option if the block is cracked, new block!

whether you find a bare block and swap your internals over or another engine complete is up to you.

ATK

Any other tips on what to look for once i get it on thecramps? Any other symptoms?

if it is a cracked block I’d look to send it to somewhere like Pug racing to get it sorted. 

ATK

Would rather avoid complete new engine if possible as this runs great.

welshpug

they tend to crack along the base of the water jacket, so just above where you can see the head bolts poke through, can be on the front or the rear.

I built an engine for another forum member due to exactly this issue about 2 years ago, thankfully his engine was in reasonable condition other than the block but IIRC we still fitted new shells etc.

ATK

Cheers Meirion. Expensive job?

welshpug

not especially no, I think it was a maximum of £200 in parts.

Leslie green

Mine is cracked on the back 10mm under  the bottom of right head stud inside the web in this pic ,engine hadn't run in 10 years so don't know when it happened or if this was why it was parked up or not or it happened in storage .

36515259351_1228ed79f0_b.jpg20170818_171153 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green

Miles

They do like to crack at the back, seen the front as well a couple of time, Corrosion is becoming more of a issue these days but at least the Alloy XU engine was used quite late on in 306's etc.

As said dead easy to swap everything across, But it would all need to be checked first so it's difficult to price up

barneys66

Me too - see where it weeps.  Radweld sorted mine quickly and cheaply - good enough for plenty of hard use since.

Plan is to re-block mine at some point but only to sort a different issue - if it wasn't for that I'd run it as is for as long as I could.

25129496408_6d75389a5f_b.jpg

Deantracy17

I have a cti with a crack along the base of the head bolts. I would like to replace with a new block. Do you guys know if the blocks are common with the gti.  I am not sure if I have the xu5j or xu5ja.  Cheers.

20180307_164432.jpg

Telf

As Barney says Rad Weld might work for you- or it might not.

Not sure its effects on other components though.

welshpug

quite frankly its pointless trying to stick anything in to try and seal that as the clamping of the headgasket is severely compromised, it wont be long before it starts pressurising heavily.

allanallen

That looks well beyond rad weld imo 

Tom Fenton

It’s had it! Look for another I’m afraid is the only option