• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

Wiring of the 3 pin coolant level sensor

B1ack_Mi16

So a big thanks to Hilgert that managed to get me a black phase2 / diesel expansion tank for my 205 Mi16 project.

Anyway, the original loom had a regular expansion tank with the 2 pin level sensor, and I believe that the wire going to the dash is earthed when the coolant level gets too low?

So this new one looks more like one from a 405;

http://www.serie04.com/fr/405-refroidissement-moteur-essence-tu/2147-capteur-de-niveau-d-eau-1.html

But how it is supposed to work? I see in the 405 Haynes the pin 1 is earth, pin 2 is going to the instrument cluster and pin 3 is getting switched (+) live when ignition is on.

I have hooked it up to 12v on pin 3 and earth on pin 1 but not getting any conclusive readings from pin 2 anyway.

Getting about  0.65v between pin 2 and earth. Sensor might be gone as it doesn't look too good.

ade 4wd

Pin 1 earth

Pin 2 output

Pin 3 12 volts

The output goes low when there is no water in expansion tank.

To test, connect a bulb across pins 2 and 3. Put the probes in water and the bulb is off. Take probes out the water and after a few seconds the bulb will be on.

B1ack_Mi16

Ok thanks..

So I need to wire in an extra relay  that grounds the wire that goes to the instrument panel then?

ade 4wd

No relay is needed. The output wire can connect directly to the instrument panel. 

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, I suppose my sensor is defect at least, as I was not able to get a 1.2w bulb to light up either way I tried to connect it.

But will just wire it up and get a sensor later on.

Anthony

To be honest, most of the later type level sensors I've seen are knackered - so unless you're lucky or you can find a new one, it might all be academic anyway.

skeggyrik

Can you still get new sensors for the later phase 2 tanks?

Were they common to other models?