• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dawning

Smokey Xs, Head Rebuilt

dawning

Maybe someone on here can give me some advice.. I rebuilt the head on my xs due to it being smokey on start up and under hard acceleration, replaced valve stem seals and exhaust valves , got the head skimmed while it was off. Well it started which was nice as I have never taken the cylinder head off a car before! But after a minute or so of running started getting pretty smokey, whiteish smoke, eventually cleared. I've started it twice since and both times starts of fine then gets smokey, I've not driven it or ran it for too long but I have got it up to temperature. Should I drive it a bit more and see what happens? I changed the oil after I got it hot for the first time since rebuilt and it looks quite black already. I also replaced the whole exhaust system bar manifold which I painted but I think that as quite unlikely anything to do with the smoke. Going to take it for an MOT tomorrow so will get to drive it for the first time. Thanks for reading.

Tom Fenton

Did you have the valve guides checked?

dawning

No, I asked the machine shop who skimmed the head to do them after you advised me that it was probably worth replacing them but they had already skimmed the head and said that there was a high chance of needing the head skimmed again after doing the guides. I gave them a wiggle and they where not too loose but it wasn't very scientific. As it was my first attempt at doing a cylinder head I was a bit prepared to have some kind of problem so not the end of the world if I have to take it off again. Does it sound like a symptom of worn guides?

Sorry not sure why my txt is so small!

calvinhorse

It's definitely smoke and not condensation?

Gaz205

It's definitely smoke and not condensation?

Headgasket?

jackherer

You'd be surprised how much condensation can build up in the exhaust at this time of year, especially if you start the car a few times without warming it up fully and actually driving it.

About this time last year I was taking my car for mapping and it was fine for a day on the rollers. After that I ran it a few times to get it on and off the trailer and to move it about on the drive then I took it to my mates for an MOT which is only two minutes away. By then it was pouring dense white smoke out of the exhaust and I actually cancelled the MOT because I thought the head gasket had gone. Eventually I gave it another go and warmed it up fully then it was fine and has been for a year. A couple of days ago I had the same thing with my mates 205, it's been sat for ages and only run up for brief periods and now it is steaming heavily from the exhaust.

calvinhorse

Exactly as jack said

People also see the oil turning creamy around the filler cap and think its head gasket, justs condensation ????

dawning

Thanks for the replies everyone! Took it for the MOT today, was less smokey and stopped smoking pretty quick hopefully it is just condensation in the exhaust would make sense as it wasn't smoking directly on start up. Failed the mot though... Rust think I'm gonna need more advise from the wonderful people on here

Anthony

One step forward, two back... you've gotta love old cars sometimes!

Still, good news on the smoke ceasing and well done on tackling and succeeding with your first head removal and refit :)

Henry Yorke

There is something very satisfying about popping your head gasket cherry. I think the novelty wears off though over time...

dawning

Thanks for your kind words, it was quite a proud moment when it ran, was half expecting it just just blow up or something lol, still early days but had it running for over an hour today and it's still in one piece!