• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSeuss

Fao Those With Harnesses

DrSeuss

I remember hearing that people wearing harnesses that were bolted to the rear seatbelt mounting points would be crushed in an accident, by the harnesses. I was wondering whether anyone knew how valid this statement is? I would've thought its probably true.

Guest CB-Dave

wouldn't have thought so unless the accident was so bad it ripped the seat off the floorpan.

if your seats are bolted down securely enough, then it should be safer having harnesses than inertia belts simply because the harnesses won't give - which means you stay where you are, the same distance away from stuff like the steering wheel and so on...

Guest Dave

It depends who you listen to really.

1 camp say that if they are mounted to the floor-mounts you will be crushed in a crash as the belts will pull you downwards too hard.

The other camp say if they are mounted to the higher-up mounts, the C-pillars will crumple forwards in a rear-ender, making the belts go slack and injuring you.

The instructions that came with my harnessess said to mount them to the floor within a certain distance from the back of the seat. not too close to the base of the seat and not too far away, im not sure what the given measurements were as Ive thrown away the leaflet but the seat-belt mountings were well within this approved area.

Im more likely to believe the instructions that came with my harnessess than anyone elses opinions.

GtiMad

If you mount them at an angle less than 45 deg from the top of the seat it will break the back of the seat upon impact and not do you much good either! :wacko:

Sign in to follow this