• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

changingman

Where's My Oil Gone? ?

changingman

Hi , I've got a gti6 converted 205 which came with a 400 mm dipstick as the bloke had trod on the old one.

I bought a gti6 dipstick direct from peugeot , drained the oil and replaced it this morning with 4.75 litres of magnatec but nothing is showing on the dipstick which is 550 mm in length.

The engine gas a very small oil leak but only once it's warmed up.

I haven't started the car since I did the oil this morning as I'm a bit confused.

I've only recently got it and it drives perfectly with the exception of no gauge works and this dipstick issue.

As I can't find the engine number to check, I was wondering if earlier and later gti6 engines had different length dipstick? ?

Cheers

Liam

Edited by changingman

Anthony

Is the dipstick top black in colour with a sort of ring top to it? If so, sounds correct.

I've got a GTi6 one in the garage I can measure against if needs be.

Anthony

I just checked my GTi6 dipstick - total length from the collar that sits on the top of the tube to the maximum mark is approximately 51cm and to the end is approximately 55cm.

How much oil drained out roughly?

And without meaning to sound like I'm treating you like an idiot - it's not just that the oil is so clean that you're struggling to see it on the dipstick is it?

Simes

Start the car and then test it again.

changingman

Thanks gents, you can teach me to suck eggs cos I don't know a lot anyway!!!!

It's definitely not on the dipstick as I've taken it out twice and ran my fingers over it.

I'll go and connect the battery and starts it up tomorrow, all the wheels are off and I can't get to the boot to put the battery in!!!!!!

changingman

Anthony, how long us your oil filler tube,mines approx 400 mm.

Anthony

Anthony, how long us your oil filler tube,mines approx 400 mm.

Ah, this sounds like it might be the issue - mines about 33.5cm from the top to the lip where it would sit when in the block, and about 36cm including the bit that sits inside the block.

Wonder what the one you have is from?

Mine's surplus to requirements if you need a GTi6 one :)

welshpug

is it an S16 then msybe ??

changingman

Ah, this sounds like it might be the issue - mines about 33.5cm from the top to the lip where it would sit when in the block, and about 36cm including the bit that sits inside the block.

Wonder what the one you have is from?

Mine's surplus to requirements if you need a GTi6 one :)

That sound like problem solved Anthony, ill have yours mate, send me a message with a pay pal address or some way of paying you for it,thanks!!!!!

is it an S16 then msybe ??

An S16 engine or dipstick tube???

I wouldnt know the difference between an S16 and a gti6 engine! !!

Anthony

Picture paints a thousand words...

Both have a similar bottom ends, but quick way to get a good idea is the S16 dipstick is on rear of engine, whereas GTi6 on front.

I didn't think a GTi6 dipstick will fit a S16 tube though off the top of my head, as the S16 doesn't have the flaired end for the fatter topped 6 dipstick.

welshpug

if the tube is 70mm longer it'll be sticking up miles, doubt the bonnet woild even close

changingman

Picture paints a thousand words...

Both have a similar bottom ends, but quick way to get a good idea is the S16 dipstick is on rear of engine, whereas GTi6 on front.

I didn't think a GTi6 dipstick will fit a S16 tube though off the top of my head, as the S16 doesn't have the flaired end for the fatter topped 6 dipstick.

Right it's an S16 and not a Gti6 then as the dipstick is at the back of the engine.

That's a bugger as I just bought a load of gti6 badges!!

The advert said it was a gti6 with oversize S16 pistons.

I'm not overly bothered as it's a flying machine,I just want to know what's what!!

if the tube is 70mm longer it'll be sticking up miles, doubt the bonnet woild even close

That's less than 3 " I've got room for a much longer one,lol!!

Edited by changingman

changingman

My dipstick is near the brake reservoir.

post-9565-0-94395600-1494187105_thumb.png

welshpug

gti6 head on an s16 block.

changingman

gti6 head on an s16 block.

Ah so it's a gtis166 then lol!!!!

Is that an unusual build? ?

I'm not complaining as it's faster than any 205 I've had before , even my 192 bhp mi16.

changingman

So what length is an S16 dipstick lol!!!!!

welshpug

1174 16, no idea how long sorry.

changingman

1174 16, no idea how long sorry.

1174 16 ??????

changingman

Ahh the part number.

Nice one , thanks!!!!!

welshpug

yes, has been nfp for some time iirc but worth asking a dealer if they can find one for you.

Anthony

1174.18 (listed for A/C 306 S16's - presumably meaning alloy sump) is still available, or at least isn't NFP. RRP is £10.07 plus VAT

I've no idea what the difference is between the two S16 dipsticks though given that the tube itself is the same for both.

changingman

yes, has been nfp for some time iirc but worth asking a dealer if they can find one for you.

They will only ask me for a registration number of chassis number because they are top dumbass to search for it by car.

I had a hell of a lot of trouble getting a gti6 dipstick out of them a couple of weeks ago.

There's one on ebay but the part number is 1174 17.

I suppose I could ask th dealer what part that ccorresponds to couldn't I!

changingman

1174.18 (listed for A/C 306 S16's - presumably meaning alloy sump) is still available, or at least isn't NFP. RRP is £10.07 plus VATI've no idea what the difference is between the two S16 dipsticks though given that the tube itself is the same for both.

Ahh I missed that one and I looked on ebay.

Cheers ill go back on again and try and find it!!

changingman

Got one today 1174 17 £25 , Peugeot say they have been discontinued! !!

Thanks for all your help gents! !

• Like 1

welshpug

sorry, no idea where i got 16 from it should have been 17! posting from my phone in belgium...

glad you found one!