• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

NFS

Gti-6 Engine Randomly Started Tapping This Morning

NFS

Started the Pug this morning to drive to work, straight away it starts tapping, sounds top end i think. it wasnt happening last night when i drove home from work and didnt give it any welly last night either. here is a video below, anyone have any idea why or what this is? the engine is clean as a whisle and hasnt faulted once since i owned it. THanks in advance

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv25/triggercdti/th_IMG_1414_zps7xgqbyb9.mp4

Edited by NFS

allanallen

Drained lifter? Did you drive it? May well go away once it's been driven...

NFS

Drained lifter? Did you drive it? May well go away once it's been driven...

Thanks for your reply Allan, TBH i live 0.4 miles from my work so i have only driven it this morning that far with the noise. Can a drained lifter happen so suddenly? it was fine on the short journey home last night.

welshpug

when was the last oil change? probably shot from such short journeys.

NFS

Last august i think, the oil looks fresh still and its a syrup colour. I only drive it to work when the weather is s*ite, but it does get driven further often.

dobboy

Thanks for your reply Allan, TBH i live 0.4 miles from my work so i have only driven it this morning that far with the noise. Can a drained lifter happen so suddenly? it was fine on the short journey home last night.

Get the oil heated up a bit and see if it still taps.

NFS

So took it out at lunch, tapped when i started it but when i started to drive off it stopped, took it for a gentle spin and now sounds perfectly fine. must have been a drained lifter!

allanallen

Get some new/decent oil in there, they can be fussy beggars

• Like 1

dobboy

I'd run a Wynes engine cleaner through it on the old oil. I know a lot on here don't like it but I've used it a few times with no problems on various cars.

Gaz205

Slightly altering the direction of this topic, what would cause a tappy engine but only when it gets hot? Oh n the tapping stops immediately after restarting the engine?

tartanbloke

That is only a 10 minute walk or a 4 minute bike ride???

NFS

That is only a 10 minute walk or a 4 minute bike ride???

its actually only a 7 min walk, but im lazy and dont like the bad weather.

• Like 1