• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hoodygoodwood

Clutch Plate Fitment Issue - Dimensions Please

hoodygoodwood

I have a GTI6 flywheel on my 8V engine ( running Omex so need the pickups ) my brand new clutch kit has a problem , the plate when fitted by hand to the flywheel has a clearance issue , the springs are touching lightly on the 8 crank bolts .

Could someone with an mi or GTI6 flywheel and a mi driven plate take some dimensions for me please .

1. How thick are the heads on the 8 hex headed bolts that hold the fly to the crank .mine are 5.5mm approx.

2. Could you measure from a straightedge on the flywheel friction surface down to the top of those bolt heads , mine is 3mm approx. .

3. On a 215mm mi clutch plate put a straightedge across the high point of the springs and measure to the friction surface , mine is 3mm approx. .

These sizes are by ruler but show there is no clearance . Just trying to find out which component is wrong so I can replace it .

Many thanks .

Anthony

If you haven't had any luck in the meantime then I should be able to check these tonight for you as I've got a couple of flywheels and clutches in the garage.

I have heard of this issue before and if you do a search through Google you'll possibly find some threads about it. I can't recall what the cause or solution was, but my best guess would be dubious tolerances on the clutch plate.

Andy

Hi. I have a 215mm Mi16 friction plate. The vertical distance between the high point on the spring side and the friction surface is 11.5mm . This side definitely faces towards the clutch cover and not the flywheel. Bit difficult to measure the hex bolt heads as my engine is on a stand, but they look to be about 5mm deep. Oh just one more point . The 'other' side of the friction plate is almost completely flat with esssentially no protrusion , which is why that is the face that faces the flywheel.

Hope this gets you a step closer to dealing with your conundrum.

Andy

hoodygoodwood

Thanks for that information .

A mate has just had a measure up for me , most of his mi crank bolts have a 5.8 mm thick head while one set come in at 4.8 mm . His mi flywheel measures 5.2 mm from friction surface down to the top of the bolts so straight away he has 2mm clearance which I do not . His clutch plate is the same as mine with about 3 mm from top of springs down to friction surface . Andy , your clutch plate with the springs level with the face sounds ideal , if only mine was like that . My mate has a spare mi flywheel so I am going to drive over and pick it up so I can get the engine and box fitted on Thursday .

hoodygoodwood

Got the 2 Mi flywheels and clutches from my mate , compared everything with my own set up and found the flywheels were identical , the clutch covers had differences in the lengths of the 'fingers' but were dimensionally identical . The problem I had was just because the springs on the new plate were too proud on the flywheel side , bolted it all together with one of the other plates and the engine and box are now in the 309 .