• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

Fuse F13 Keeps Blowing

kachel

After testing with the multimeter which gave comparable results as Jack his results i have cut the earth wires from the side lights and connected them with the earth from the accu. That is a 100% good earth i assume. It still gives main beam at the first click of the steering switch..... should i do this test (cutting earth wire and connect it to earth from battery) also on the main lights?

dobboy

Not sure what that test would achieve but you could just use a flying lead onto the lamp older and see what happens, save chopping your loom.

I'm running out of ideas tbh

Can you unplug the HL and SL lamp holders at the headlights, and see if the full beam blue indication still lights up at first click?

Also, when the full beam comes on at first click, with all lamps plugged in, are the sidelights actually on?

Has this problem just arisen or is it a new car to you?

Edited by dobboy

kachel

'Can you unplug the HL and SL lamp holders at the headlights, and see if the full beam blue indication still lights up at first click'

Yes, it still lights up in the dashboard.

'Also, when the full beam comes on at first click, with all lamps plugged in, are the sidelights actually on?'

Yes

The problem was there when I bought the car, the car has been re painted.

One curious thing more, the sidelight symbol light in the dashboard does not always glow up, even when the sidelight lamps are on. The main beam light is always on at the first click.

I have already cleaned the earth blocks and sprayed WD-40 into the earth connectors. I don't know if WD-40 will do the job.

Could the problem be in the fuse board?

Edited by kachel

dobboy

Yep, in/at the fuseboard i'm thinking.

Not sure WD40 should be used on electrical connections btw.

I've never dealt with the fuseboard or the plugs etc that go into it, so someone else will need to help you.

I wonder if either, the plug at the lighting stalk is on the wrong way? (if possible)

or

The the plug for sidelights and full beam have been mixed up at the fuseboard? (or if it's the same plug, it it on the wrong way round.

And that would explain the relay clicking I think.

(i'm not entirely sure if the plugs can be mixed up due to shape etc.)

Identifying the plugs would be a start.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=102543

There was a list identifying each of the red letters in the pic on the thread above ^ , but I can't find it.

What happens to the main beam at first click if you remove the relay you've heard clicking?

kachel

So i started to unplug the the connectors B and C from the fuseboard(see the link from Jack). These are the connectors with the outgoing wires for the lights under the bonnet. When i put 12v on the the wires of the sidelights and head lights from the connectors B and C the lignts are working fine! So can i assume now that the error is inside the fuseboard? (The steering column switch is ok)

By the way, all connectors on the fuseboard are unique and can't be connected up side down.

dobboy

Progress!

Does the HL's come on when the sidelight fuse is removed? at first or second click?

And, when everything is connected up, and you try full beam, does full beam stay on or go off?

Edited by dobboy

kachel

I didn't mention that i put the 12v directly from the battery at the connectors B and C under the dashboard at the fuseboard.

So i assume that the connection from the connectors B and C at the fuseboard to the lamps under the bonnet are ok.

That leaves the connection inside the fuse board as a potential defect?

kachel

I have replac ed the fuse board and result! At the first click only sidelight! Thanks a lot for thinking along with which resulted in this solution!

dobboy

Great! glad you got it sorted ????

jackherer

That's an unusual problem for a 205. Any chance you can take the fuse box apart to see what the issue was?

I thought there were a few different versions of the fusebox for different model years and the Haynes manual shows several different layouts but servicebox only shows one part number now. Is there any chance a previous owner has fitted the wrong one at some stage?

kachel

That is possible, there is '205' written with a marker on the fuse box which indicates that that was not the original one.

• Like 1