• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

NFS

Driving Light Keeps Blowing A Fuse

NFS

Hi. So I don't have the driving lights loom from the yellow plug behind the headlight to the driving lights. So I made up to wires and connected it all together. + to the yellow/green wire and - to the brown wire. The lights come on fine when you use high beam but it last about 10 seconds then the 15 amp fuse blows. I'm not going to put a bigger fuse in as I don't want to burn out the wiring. Any idea why it keeps blowing the fuse? I don't think there are any shorts as the wiring I did looks fine :(

toolie72

Well light bulbs aren't directional but would yellow/green not be the earth?

Still got relay on bulkhead?

welshpug

which fuse blows?

jackherer

Have you checked the bulbs are the correct wattage (55w)?

steve@cornwall

Are you taking supply straight off main beam wiring? If so, run through a relay so you're not pulling 4x 55w which is likely blowing the fuse.

NFS

I have made up two wires with female spade connectors to the already existing yellow plugs which I'm 90% sure is for the driving lights. Then ran it down to the lights and matched them up. I will give it another go tomorrow. I have tons of 15 amp fused. I can't remember seeing any relays on the bulkhead.

welshpug

which fuse blows????

Ryan

The driving lamp relay isn't in the engine bay, its in the main fusebox under the dash. The relay is the first on on the far left, and it should be fuse #4 powering that circuit.

NFS

which fuse blows????

I will find out and let you know. Think it might be the 4th or 5 th from the left in the fuse box.

which fuse blows????

I will find out and let you know. Think it might be the 4th or 5 th from the left in the fuse box.

Ryan

If you've connected the positive wire to the green/yellow wire then it sounds like you're shorting out the lamps. The lamp body is earthed through the metal bracket to the car body, so putting 12V on the green/yellow wire creates a short between 12V and earth. Try swapping over the connections to the yellow plugs.

steve@cornwall

If you've connected the positive wire to the green/yellow wire then it sounds like you're shorting out the lamps. The lamp body is earthed through the metal bracket to the car body, so putting 12V on the green/yellow wire creates a short between 12V and earth. Try swapping over the connections to the yellow plugs.

Case is plastic, or you'd only need a live feed wire

NFS

It's it's 4th fuse from the left. So the way I have it wired up now is yellow/black to the negative and the brown to the positive. The fuse still blows. They are brand new denji lights so they are only bare wires to attach to. So I will try next to attach the negative to the bracket that holds the light and then just run the positive from the brown wire in the yellow plug.