• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blandy

Help Identifying Noise

blandy

Got another issue which I fear is gearbox related.

Since last outing when I noticed a crunch in 3rd and then the release bearing failed. Over the winter I've replaced a synchro from my xsara box and also replaced clutch arm bushes with the correct yellow type and a new release bearing.

Yesterday I got to the point of cranking over for the first time in months. On cranking was met with a horrible grinding noise. So stopped and investigated. With turning the engine by hand the noise was still there and then once starter motor was removed it went away.

Not whitely convinced it was a starter motor issue today I've refitted the starter. This time she fired into life immediately. With running the noise is still there. When running the noise disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed :(

I've managed a short vid. Would appreciate your opinions. Need to get it sorted asap as due for mapping in couple of weeks but gutted is a understatement

https://youtu.be/5ZhSLVCsQB4

toolie72

Silly question-engine to gearbox tight? Even a mm of slack made mine do the same

Noise worse in car or out-if in car it's something touching

I do know people have had starter to ring gear issues, never had it myself though-might be worth trawling forum archives

blandy

Gearbox bolts are all present and tight and dowel on starter motor etc.

Starter motor and flywheel, clutch are same items I ran last year without issue

blandy

What I need to do and should of done was turned the engine by hand afterwards. I did yesterday and the noise was present. Removed the starter and turned over by hand and no noise.

Refitted starter and turned by hand and noise was not present so should of done it again really to see if it was back since turning over with the starter. Actually I'll go do it now

Although seems odd that noise would go away with clutch depressed

allye

yer that is strange, noises going with clutch depressed kind of disproves that theory, pressure plate bolted down/still in one piece!?

Think you may have a evening or two laying on your back ahead of you.

blandy

Just been out and no didn't do it that time by hand. I got a horrible feeling I've actually got 2 issues - the starter sticking yesterday but not running a different issue

Normally noise that goes when clutch down would be release bearing but that's new

Could it be anything internal to the box?

welshpug

check the nuts on the 5th gear end of the shafts

blandy

Deffinately done them up as read your old thread and done them to 110nm as suggested. Will wip the cover off and check there ok and not moved but would be surprised as secured them by punching in the tabs as well

welshpug

I have taken the end cover off once to find no thread in the nut and a stripped 5th gear hub! and i did torque them up, was a gearbox I built myself :/

blandy

Hmmm I'll defiantly double check then..

did it sound like mine? I'm only doubting the box as I've had it apart and although did everything by the book there's always room for error.

Would it go away with the clutch down though? Had enough of gearboxes the car ran perfectly without issues until I brought this 2nd hand box hoping for improvement and been nothing but trouble.

petert

What about gearbox not seating on the block correctly? A wire etc trapped between faces can cause issues.

DamirGTI

Release bearing slipped/hooked off the clutch fork perhaps ? you can incpect that with an flash light through the aperture on the front of the gearbox .

D

blandy

Gearbox is seated up ok, again will double check all suggestions before removing but i even added in all the bolts when refitting as before there was 2 missing so in a attempt to do the job properly i added some more.

When my release bearing failed on its last outing it actually dropped the lower bolt of of the gearbox when i got back to the pits. I run a tap through the holes and it all tightened up nicely. I even torqued up the clutch cover bolts and the flywheel bolts to the correct spec. I did snap a pressure plate bolt which was easily removed with a easy out and replaced with another old bolt i had but im just wondering if there stretched and maybe not clamping the pressure plate tight which could cause the rattle. They did all torque to 20nm though (in a cross pattern and double checked once they all hit torque)