• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest thb

Now That I've Got A 205 Gti, I Have Some Questions

Guest thb

205gti01.jpg

That's my recent purchase - an F reg 1.6 205 GTi in graphite grey bought for a bargain price. But as i'm a complete numbnutz when it comes to the technical aspects of four-wheeled travel (what do i do for a job again? - oh yer, motoring journo <_< ) especially the two-oh-five i have a couple of questions:

- What fuel do i need to use? LRP/unleaded/SUL/optimax???

- Best oil is millers (from what NickR used to bleat on about) right?

- how tricky is it to swap rear lights from phase 1 to phase 2?

- upon attempting to change the air filter at the weekend, the rubber pipes fell apart in my hands as they'd perished - so what's the best/easiet plan to sort it? k&n 57i?

anyhoo - help me out guys!

thb

Robbie G

Hi. Lovely car!

- You can use unleaded or 4-star / optimax. Timing may need to be altered. On mine it's been retarded so I run unleaded.

- Oil - apparently Millers is good but changing it often is more important. 15W/40 is what my manual says to use, semi-synthetic.

- Think you can get kits from autofive for this? Involves wiring pissage though (I think).

- K&N is an option, but I'd try and find replacements from a scrappy or ask someone from this forum. Standard induction is fine, all depends what you want (louder noise etc). Someone from this forum sent me a very new looking pipe from this area and only charged me postage. Not sure if you can access wanted yet but you will be able to.

Get some new driving lights and attack the alloys with Wonder Wheels and she'll be a minter!

Guest thb

cheers for the comments

she needs a good attacking with my box of autoglym so hopefully she'll look better once that's done

thanks for the comment about the pipe - i do have access to wanted, i'll post summin up there soonish

oh yer, one other thing, sunroofs - mine doesn't stay in place due to:

205gti08.jpg

the runner missing from the driver's side - at the moment, the glass panel can be lifted straight off the car! - top security !

are these easy to source/replace?

cheers again

Guest d-9

Again, you should be able to get one from a scrappy pretty cheaply. The trim comes apart in 3 stages:

unscrew the front trim from below (screws are above interior light)

pull front trim forwards and off.

push side trim backwards and off.

the runners are then held on by torx bolts, but i never took them off so i dont know what happens next!

Rob_the_Sparky

Use Optimax or SUPER as you loose quite a lot of power using unleaded. For other bits post wanted ads on here and get to know the local scrappy.

Looks good, visit local South Meet for loads of help (if I remember correctly your down this way!) - next one isn't organised but expect it will be end of Jan or so.

Rob

Robbie G

Didn't mean to put 4-star, but I can't edit the f**ker now for some reason <_<

Meant optimax / super / unleaded. 4-star was leaded right? Anyway when I ran mine on super i couldnt tell the difference (That was probably because I didnt advance my timing though), so I went back to the cheaper premium unleaded, which the 1.6 is happier on compared to the 1.9.

Rob_the_Sparky
Didn't mean to put 4-star, but I can't edit the f**ker now for some reason  <_<

Meant optimax / super / unleaded. 4-star was leaded right? Anyway when I ran mine on super i couldnt tell the difference (That was probably because I didnt advance my timing though), so I went back to the cheaper premium unleaded, which the 1.6 is happier on compared to the 1.9.

Spot on, its the timing that gives you back the power, oh and yes I don't think the 1.6 looses as much as the 1.9 when running on unleaded.

Guest thb

k, i'll try out SUL or optimax once i get her on the road - gotta get tax and insurance

yes rob, i am down south - suprised you remember many a day spent in the PGAC chat room discussing what not - i'll try to get along to a meet at some point

Guest LKHanberg

Dont know if this is a issue with yours, but mine has a cat, doesnt that mean unleaded ONLY?

Rob_the_Sparky
k, i'll try out SUL or optimax once i get her on the road - gotta get tax and insurance

yes rob, i am down south - suprised you remember many a day spent in the PGAC chat room discussing what not - i'll try to get along to a meet at some point

Thought I recognised the name but wasn't certain!

Rob_the_Sparky
Dont know if this is a issue with yours, but mine has a cat, doesnt that mean unleaded ONLY?

Nope, just not LRP or leaded.

GtiMad

:)

the rubber pipes fell apart in my hands as they'd perished

Welcome to pug ownership mate, it's a love/hate thing. <_<

Welcome to the forum too.

base-1

hi tom <_<

Guest thb

for those of you who don't recognise me i've been on the PGAC for a few years now and have owned a 106 in the past - i also have a 5dr 306 1.6 alongside the 205 so i'm quite used to peugeot ownership!

gonna get stuck in tomorrow <_<

NickR

Hi Tom.

Welcome aboard.

Guest Al-2

Welcome aboard :wacko: nice clean looking car.

premium (95 octane) Unleaded's ok, it'll get you out of trouble, but my 1.9 definitely prefers 98 octane Super unleaded. I still have to get some AvGas (100 octane, low lead) to try out, my guess is it'll go like an atomic thunderf***.

TaffyTim

I usually run my 1.9 on optimax which it loves, but evry now and again ill travel far and put proper 4 star in it, it makes the world of difference. Im not sure if it will work in all cars but if it does in yours check out leadedpetrol.co.uk to find your nearest stockist.

Guest TB_205GTI

thb: Please please please stop parking like a woman!

park.jpg

:)

Is it a 1.6 or a 1.9? It has cloth interior and 1.6 Speedlines, but it has a 1.9 backbox?

I have a 1.6 in the same colour.. nice car :lol:

Edited by TB_205GTI

Guest LKHanberg

That's my recent purchase - an F reg 1.6 205 GTi in graphite grey bought

Also who would put 1.6 speedlines on their 1.9... I wouldnt!

Guest thb

yer, yer I know - it just sorta ended up there

it's a 1.6 - how can you tell the diff between 1.6 and 1.9 backboxes??

at the moment, the car's stripped and i'm beginning to put marley tape everywhere

pug_ham

AFAIK there isn't any difference between the two, just a change to the flange style of joint for the backbox to the centre pipe after around 1988.

How can you tell it has a 1.9 backbox when you can't see the rear of the car? :)

Graham.:lol:

Sign in to follow this