• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andya

1.6 Gti Starting Issue

Andya

Hi,

I have searched the forums but couldn't find anything with my symptoms.

My car will sometimes struggle to start...., if I turn the key the starter will turn over for a long time with no attempt to fire, if I switch the ignition off and on again it will sometimes then fire but not always. I have noticed that the speed of the starter will change from slow to fast when I turn the ignition off and on again, and when it is rotating fast it is more likely to start, but still not 100% certain it will. I have bump started the car when it wouldn't start using the starter and it starts fine. Also if the car has been running it will restart fine.

Any ideas? I have changed the plugs, distributor and cap, battery and also the fuel pump.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

ALEX

Service items usually aren't the problem from my experience if a car is regularly serviced. Fuel pump wouldn't have been my fist suspect for a car that actually runs either.

Old wiring issues have usually been the problem for me in the past such as the wire (and connector) from the distributor to the ignition module. also the connector on the AFM has failed on me once.

You could also check the SAD valve is working and that the tachometer relay is in good condition.

Edit : Check earths are good.

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

Telf

I would say its a wiring issue. Check your earths first. You really need to systematically check all the wiring associated with the start/ignition system. Disconnect plugs and examine. Visually check the wires to ensure there is no chaffing and shorting to earth.(especially where it passes through bulkheads) Make sure that contacts in plugs are clean and that the actual wire core behind the pins isn't corroded.

Poor earth and high resistance due to corrosion are issues on all old cars.

Check the brown multi plug of doom that's just under the AFM forward of thee SAD. This will cause issues numerous. Make sure the 2 brown plugs to the left of the steering column are good. Make sure your Tachy relay is connected properly.

Wiggle the key in your ignition barrel-is there play? does it feel loose? does it makes the ignition light flash- you may have a worn barrel and not realise it.

Do you always get a spark? no attempt to start- does it spark when this happens? is the cable from the dizzy to the ignition amp serviceable? is the plug 1/2 way along ok?

• Like 1

Andya

Great thanks for replying guys I will have a look

Andy

AlexRS2782

As above, definitely having a good look over the wiring, earths, etc. When a similar non starting problem first cropped up on my car a few years ago it was resolved by Miles @ Pug Racing tidying up the wiring and some contacts that went via the brown multi plug.

Over the past few months it's occasionally started happening again and my next port of call will be sorting the ignition barrel as that now has a bit of play in it.

• Like 1

Anthony

If the engine is actually cranking over but won't start (which is how I read it) then it won't be anything to do with the brown multiplug.

When the brown multiplug plays up, either the starter won't crank (or only does so intermittently) or one or more dashboard gauges/lights won't work, depending on which pin(s) have poor contacts.

Given what you mention about cranking speed, I'd start with checking the battery contacts, earth and power cables, and chuck another starter in it - failing starters have caused some odd starting issues before, although that's usually on Motronic cars. I'm only down the road in Swindon if you want an eye cast over it and/or another starter to try.

• Like 1

Andya

Thanks for all your replies, I started the car last night, it cranked over albeit at a slower speed then I tried again and the starter cranked at the faster speed and then started with about 5 seconds of cranking? I have not had a chance to go over all the wiring properly yet, so will do this at the weekend (am swapping my axle over on the daily 206 diesel and needed the room in the garage for that).

Thanks Anthony I will see how I get on and if I cannot find anything untoward I will be in contact.

Andya

Just an update for those who are interested, I went and cleaned the earth on the gearbox and the connectors on the coil and also battery terminals, once I did this, I tried to start the car, first turn it fires up!! I wasn't sure if this was a fluke and tried again over the weekend and again fired up first turn on the key, so I am thinking and hoping it is now all sorted.

Thanks again everyone very much appreciated for the help.

Andy

toolie72

Yeah bad earth-just means you don't have a very good circuit

I bought a cheap earth cable from eBay and stuck it from one of the starter motor bolts to the negative battery terminal-my reasoning being,it only cost a couple of pound, it almost looks like it should be there,an "extra" earth can't do it any harm

Can't tell you if it works just that I've not had any starting issues since (ahhh that's fecked it now doh!!)