• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

blandy

Synchro Inspection

blandy

Decided to pull apart my gearbox today. I brought it 2nd hand as "a good box" but upon driving found there's a crunch when going from 2nd to 3rd. I've removed and stripped out all fairly strait forward

The syncro though doesn't look to bad in the whole but there is evidence of the teeth wearing as there sharp etc but nothing that looks catastrophic any how. What else should I be looking for? It does seem very loose I.e turn in upside down and it drops there's very little resistance etc.

I have found the selector fork is actually cracked so that's a big part of the issue but just wondering if there's any thing else I can check/measure on the synchro

8628D574-140E-4BE1-ACF1-86AEA548B352_zps

AA2D5075-94D1-437E-9576-0F015E14055B_zps

E19723F3-4125-4E7C-9B95-2282B3C644C9_zps

Miles

If running a Satchel shift then I'd replace all with new, I had this on Henry's car a while ago on 3 & 4 I think, the hub looked fine by eye but it did crunch, New hub and all is good and seeing him at Brands last weekend it's still going strong after a good few years,

The teeth do that unless a really low mileage both, again not good as it can cause the box to bulk (Miss change) so unless all gears are new its a case of remembering these are 30 odd years old now

blandy

Cool thanks. Yes I am running a satchshift.

Id like to think it's the crack in the arm causing the issue but it seemed to go into every gear ok bar 3rd hence looking straight to the synchro. I've seen photos on them bent up and all the groves missing which is what I almost would of liked to see as would of been conclusive but not the case

welshpug

that's reverse gear so yeah they all look like that eventually, the teeth on the synchro ring to look a bit flattened off which can cause a bit of crunching, not helped by the selector.

blandy

Do you have a gear diagram/exploded drawing if which gear is which?

If that's reverse it did used to rattle a little in Reverse

welshpug

1st is pinion end and 5th is under the steel casing, with reverse gear between 1st and 2nd

blandy

Ah thank you that makes sense

blandy

Where do you source replacement parts from? Looking at the parts between the 2 boxes I have be3 1.9 205 and a xsara vts box the synchros look the same?

welshpug

usually just the box of bits from a donor gearbox :D

check the faces of the synchro hubs(the splined bit that the synchro slides left to right on) the oil grooves varied and you need to match them to the sprockets you are using.

blandy

Ok you've lost me there lol. Looking at the synchro the top part (silver ring) doesn't appear strait either

welshpug

the rings should be flat yes!

if its not been abused for too long the cups on the gears should be fine, look for discolouring and scoring.

pop some pictured of the bits you've got, I may have some bits to hand if they're the same as what you have, the profile of the teeth on the reverse gears changed at a certain point and they do need to match.

blandy

Thanks I appreciate the help

AA2D5075-94D1-437E-9576-0F015E14055B_zps

698AF562-FE47-456C-BE1D-79EB1A046179_zps

1BF76739-49E1-4B8D-A966-A9716EC16F6F_zps

A7D6A550-0D3B-46F1-B6CC-97B471CCDDFF_zps

4875B680-E491-43F3-BBA8-72C0605EFE5E_zps

9524AA9E-1C01-49C0-ACCD-6BD5B77E8314_zps

7443F6A1-E4EC-43D9-A070-8A446A789828_zps

8973F9AC-E86C-4F8A-8D17-EAA883D87EDD_zps

I have noticed this morning there is a section at the bottom of the gear where the teeth are cut away. This is not like this on the vts box I have but looks almost to clean to be "damage"

blandy

lol I've also just realised that the synchro is actually 1/2nd not 3/4th lol

welshpug

ah, yes that is correct, that one doesn't look that bad at all :lol:

blandy

lol yeah probably why im so confused as cannot see any real issues - yes a little wear on the teeth but nothing to what i thought.

Ill have a look at the right syncro later which may reveal a bit more info

blandy

What do you think about this gear

7608B81C-1A6F-421A-9934-CCC2CDAEC8FB_zps

It doesn't feel rough but doesn't seem right to me. The gear off the xsara box hasn't got this ridge

welshpug

thats normal yeah, its to allow clearance to another gear iirc

blandy

Thanks It may well be the biggest issue on the whole box is the crack on that arm. Ill check the other synchro when i get home so fingers crossed. Even so if the one on my xsara box is the same ill prob swap it over as a matter of course as i know that changed up fine.

blandy

Well that explains alot

4D7A1DF2-1CB3-46D4-A036-7FE75AB9342F_zps

Tom Fenton

That would do it!

On the selector forks. They often have some nasty casting marks as yours has, and looks to be where the crack has propagated from. On your "new" replacement its worth 2 min with a fine file and tidy them up to remove the stress raisers.

welshpug

yep, toast that one!

shame the 4th gear synchro ring actually looks fine, the spring is intact too, I've seen broken spring remains stuck to the magnet!

blandy

Just nice to actually find exactly what was expected - just helps to look on the right shaft lol. I've replaced the synchro now for one out of my vts box. I'll compare the arms tonight and hopefully it'll be all good to go back together.

I'll do that with a file though as suggested.

blandy

Started to think about rebuilding the box today and it would appear there are some differences regarding selector fork and selector arrangement. I was intending using my 205 casing and have built up the 205 shafts with the replacement synchro needed from the xsara. Now do I put the shaft assembly's in the xsara casing? Or do I move the selector arm and rod and reverse mechanism over to the 205 box?

Or find another selector the same that came out the 205 box (prob easiest way to get it right)

205 box

C4A5842C-F770-4C46-9D96-12CFCEE69EFA_zps

CAFEBB16-C0A4-4BD2-A749-5453591D60EC_zps

1BD8E2B5-CC39-4C7D-BB4B-47508879E951_zps

Vts box

969ED1EA-14CB-4BE2-A088-356998CF755E_zps

68D3FFE5-7F52-4590-9668-EBD3516A595C_zps

7BCF82E1-36B2-4677-8E2D-8F7CC01C7AD5_zps

blandy

I'm trying to build the box back up. The shafts are all built but I'm obviously doing something wrong selector wise as do not appear to be able to move the lever much (pulling) so when assembled it doesn't appear to select 5th as doesn't pull the 5th fork down enough.

Any ideas?

Edited by blandy

blandy

Well I've answered my question. As before the biggest issue was a worn synchro but unpon dismantling I found one of the selector forks cracked.

Well I got 2 replacement forks for a be3 box and fitted them up. Well it would appear this is my issue. I wrongly assumed they were all the same type.. they are not this is why I seem unable to get all the gears as the forks are different

Original

45245088-D3C7-4F00-A2C5-C5A4A459A8F1_zps

Replacement

B5684BD7-5AFD-4633-A4B3-EF4C8AC97808_zps

In neutral on the shaft

88CEF171-9675-4B1A-BC8D-4874F7460545_zps

Again

C628D75D-4625-44D3-96C4-200731130DC8_zps