• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ben Allen

Fuel Gauge

Guest Ben Allen

My fuel gauge is pissing me off :)

I've got a brand new sender unit from Pug in it and it's still no more useful than it was before

When I got the car it didn't work at all... now after the new sender it sits at below zero (about 1cm) the whole time UNLESS I put a full tank of petrol in the car (once in a blue moon) in which case it will go to the top.

It's as if it needs adjusting or something as when the car has a full tank and I use the petrol the needle will go down and carry on past minimum to about 1cm below the minimum one I've used up fuel, but the fuel light never comes on

Any ideas what the hell to do??

jacobs53

u might need a new motor by the sound of it. Take apart the clocks and check.

lee

Guest Ben Allen

Didn't know they had motors. You reckon ti has something to do with the instrument panel ittself then?

I've had problems with it in the past... hmm... would make sense

base-1

get a new set of clocks out of a car that they all work in :)

Guest Ben Allen

had thoguht of that but I'd need to find a set of GTI ones that have the same mileage (to the nearest 500 miles or so)

jacobs53

you can change the milage, to whatever you want. just take apart the clocks

yeap every dial on the gti dials has a motor, it connects to a tiny piece of thin metal (which has probabily snapped) check it

lee

Guest Ben Allen

Will do mate. I'll have a look around my local scrappies for sets of clocks then <_<

Anthony

If you can't find any down the scrappy, I've got a couple of sets of spare GTi clocks (one's got 116k on the clock, and I can't remember the other one) that you can have for a few beer tokens <_<

Guest phil19gti
you can change the milage, to whatever you want. just take apart the clocks

yeap every dial on the gti dials has a motor, it connects to a tiny piece of thin metal (which has probabily snapped) check it

lee

How do you do this?

I've had a spare set of clocks apart trying to alter the miles but getting the barrel with the miles back in place is a nightmare!

I've got a spare dash that I would like to put into mine but I need to lose about 30K miles off it.

Any tips?

Guest Ben Allen

My car's done 99k so I want to get one around there if possible. Scrapyard hunting it'll be soon then <_<

Zoldalma

A motor? It's interesting, I lack the curiosity to fetch my spare unit from the garage in the middle of the night, but I think they are just electro-magnets (I don't know the proper term), except for the speedo, which is mechanical.

However, you can replace individual instruments in the panel, so you'll be able to keep the speedo and the mileage.

Sign in to follow this