• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

Won't Start- Fueling Issue?

u47sb2

Change, or bypass the tachymetric relay. That's what I'd do next. Unfortunately I can't remember where it is located, near the ECU in later cars but somewhere else in earlier cars?? Someone will say exactly where soon enough.

Anyway, that's the next thing I'd try.

Juttie205

I unplugged the relay and made a little link wire that bridges across im sure someone can tell you what terminals to link as i cannot remember.

If i remember you have to link the brown which is 12v to the 2 white wires one is pump and one is injectors then see if it starts if it does the its the relay.

Edited by Juttie205

mowflow

Right'o Justin. I'll give that a shot. If it melts the whole loom I promise I won't blame you.

Tom Fenton

Rather than guessing eliminate potential problems one at a time. At the moment you don't know for sure if you have fuel pressure at the rail. Start there.

mowflow

So does the fuel peeing out the fuel line that feeds to the fuel rail when disconnected not mean there is fuel pressure in the rail? I should have stuck the pressure gauge on it but forgot. If it's any indication it half filled a contained about the size of a cup in about 3 or 4 seconds.

Also tried pinching the return as per Damirs suggestion.

How else do I check this? Or should I say, how do I do it properly?

Edited by mowflow

welshpug

iirc the standard pump is 180 lph at 3 bar, so 50cc per second, 3 l per min.

steve@cornwall

Tom is trying to get you to follow a logical path of diagnosis. You have fuel in the rail, the node lights would suggest the signal is getting through to the injectors to open them, next logical step is to prove this is (or isn't) the case by actually observing the injectors. Really a quick and easy test.

mowflow

Managed to get 30 minutes to myself tonight so pulled the fuel rail and injectors. Injector 1 and 2 are squirting. 3 and 4 are non squirters.

Anthony

The injectors should batch fire, so it should be simple to narrow the fault down. Swap the wiring plug from a working injector to a dead one and see if the fault stays with the injector (in which case the injector is faulty) or moves with the plug (in which case it's probably a loom issue).

• Like 1

mowflow

I'll hopefully get time to check that tonight.

Should the injectors fire a sort of fan like spray of fuel? Mine were like a week water pistol.

Tom Fenton

Is the car standard 8v Jetronic? Sorry not sure. Anyway as Anthony says but to clarify, they should batch fire e.g. all 4 fire together. Looms don't usually give issues but have a look inside the connector plug to the injector as sometimes the pins can push back into the plug rather than making contact. The injectors can also go sticky sometimes if they've been sat dry, try encouraging them with a tap from a spanner to see if you can get them going.

welshpug

i have seen the looms break down where all the insulation breaks down, this may cause a short.

the 4 separate wires all merge roughly 6 inches down into the loom.

pressure should be 3 bar in the rail so itll be a brief jet not a dribble, unless you manually trigger them directly of course.

mowflow

Yes, it's a standard 1991 8v 1.6.

I would hope the loom is good as I sent it all off to Miles Horne and had him clean it up/overhaul it.

The injectors have sat dry for a while, probably a year if nor 2.

I'll do the above checks tonight and report back. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

mowflow

Good news.

I now have 4 working injectors. Whacking the 2 dead ones with a spanner seems to have released them.

The bad news is the bugger still won't start.

It definitely is sounding a hell of a lot more like it does want to run though so I'm feeling like we're getting there. If I release the key when cranking it now sort of coughs on for a wee while. So we have fuel, we have spark and we have compression.

Tom Fenton

Swing the dizzy while someone cranks it on the starter.

mowflow

So just undo the 2 nuts and turn it while they crank?

Juttie205

Im guessing your timing belt is timed up correctly.

mowflow

The marks were all lined up when fitted and the tensioner replaced and adjusted so the belt couldn't be twisted.

I could refit just to be sure but I quit like having skin on my knuckles.

steve@cornwall

Silly thought for the day, double check plug leads and firing order?

DamirGTI

Advance the ignition timing .. loosen the nuts on the dizzy and swing/rotate towards the back of the car till you get the dizzy to the midway position then rotate just a little bit more to the back and stop .. this'll roughly be good position for start up , but you'll need to fine adjust it later once you get it going .

Both lean and rich mixtures are notoriously hard to ignite , and the spark may be weak or occurring at the wrong time/place . I'd be tempted to try with an easy start spray (not carb cleaner nor brake cleaner) now when the injectors are functioning , advance the ignition , spray some in the inlet and start/see what happens .

Spark plugs , once was called out to try start my mates 205 rally with brand new NGK plugs fitted , it had good compression/fuel/spark everything but the bastard simply didn't want to start ! no matter what i did/tried until i tried with old Eyquem plugs - started up on the first turn of the key .. but that 1.3 engine is a little bit strange anyhow .

D

mowflow

It lives.

So jammed injectors and ignition all set up wrong seem to have been the issues.

I completely didn't understand how the ignition timing worked. I read some posts here that explained how to set it by finding TDC and giving the firing order (1-3-4-2). Still somehow managed to make a mess of it once but set it again and started first crack.

Massive thanks to everyone here for the helpful advice and for taking the time to post instructions.

steve@cornwall

Excellent...now go enjoy it

• Like 1

mowflow

I wish I could. It's still got no interior, bumpers, bonnet or brakes.

But everything from here should be easy...

right? :)

Juttie205

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

mowflow

Spoke too soon.

Tried to run it today to bleed the cooling system. It just revs like mad for 20 seconds or so then revs drop and it dies. Did that about 5 times and now back to being a non starter.