• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rikky

Standard Gti6 Pump Recommendations

rikky

Just wondering what fuel pump people are using for a standard GTi-6 setup? I've currently got a Walbro GSS340 255 Lift Pump with filter etc sat in the existing 205 housing so working like for like - or you'd think. It's packed up after only a few miles use, but is now 3 years old so doubt I have a leg to stand on.

I'm just wondering what other pumps people are using that aren't extreme in terms of cost and will fit into the standard pump housing, and are readily available?

I was toying with just getting another Walbro one and see how it goes and put it down to a bad pump..

:)

Edited by rikky

welshpug

I had one fail too so i looked for an o.e bosch unit, got lucky and found one in Lithuania, should flow enough for my new engine too.

rikky

£137 with the weekend discount on ECP for the Bosch one (part no 441735010)

Type-R

Apparently a lot of the Bosch 044s and Walboro (255 especially) pumps out there are knock offs.

I'd get something more obscure as it's less likely to be copied.

IIIRC OE Mk4 Supra Turbo pumps are good for 550hp and would probably be pretty bulletproof.

rikky

I've been told I can send the pump back and have it checked for £10 by Walbro themselves. They'll replace if it's faulty or send me a flow test printout if not. Going to whip the pump back out at weekend and go from there..

welshpug

sent mine back 18 months ago and havebt heard anything since.

rikky

:lol: maybe I'll just get the OEM Bosch one from ECP or CP4L then with the "cp15less" 15% discount code. It works out at £119.40 delivered, not sure if this is just the pump and you swap it into your existing housing or what though

petert

Apparently a lot of the Bosch 044s and Walboro (255 especially) pumps out there are knock offs.

That happened to me with an 044. It's so hard to tell the difference now, until they fail prematurely.

rikky

I've ended up buying one from GSF, which are listed on their site and eBay (part no 183Pc0240) for just under £80. With the "GSF30" new order discount code (30%), it's just shy of £55 delivered and that includes the housing too so you can just swap the whole unit like for like and plug it in. Can't complain at that whatsoever so will give it a go and hopefully be the end of it :)

Edited by rikky

Anthony

That almost seems suspiciously cheap... what's the pump inside, as I'm assuming that it's a pattern part rather than Bosch at that money?

dcc

Interested to see the outcome!

Think I got that one from GSF a few months ago. Took it back as I thought it looked a bit crap and not likely to last very long. Got a Walbro instead! On that note, the Walbro didn't (and still doesn't) fit very well in the housing - it's a bit loose. Has anyone tried sleeving it with one of the Walbro sleeve/insert things? Does that work with the original Pug housing?

rikky

It's out for delivery tomorrow so shall update then. Ironically the Walbro one "looked" quality and turned out to be pants, so maybe this one will be better :)

boldy205

I've bought a GSF item, works OK with a std engine, but sounds rather cheap, like it's just about to die!

rikky

My Walbro one sounds like it HAS died, so this will be an improvement even if it yawns permanently :D

Will get it installed and report back!

welshpug

my walbro made no noise, because it actually died :/

rikky

It'll prime every 10th or so time of the plug receiving power but apart from that it doesn't run or do anything

rikky

Here's what I got:

newpump_1.jpg

newpump_2.jpg

newpump_3.jpg

Overall quality looks good, nothing to be afraid of here. I guess it's all about how it works now

Edited by rikky

welshpug

can you see any bosch part numbers on the pump itself?

petert

And how long it lasts.

boldy205

Looks like the same one I bought, looks cheap, sounds worse, but seemed to work!

rikky

Got it installed, doesn't sound bad at all to be honest and works fine. Only minor issue was feed and return swapped position so had to adjust pipework.

But..

Took old Walbro out, gave it 12v to the plug on the Peugeot pump housing...didn't run, nothing. So, then I removed the pump and sent 12v directly to it without the Peugeot housing and it runs fine and pumped a full 20ltr without hesiatation.

So looks like corrosion or a breakage from the main plug to the terminals that then connect up to the pump itself. So I'll split it all apart tomorrow and see if it'll clean up, so at least I've now got a spare pump now :lol:

The terminals don't seem overly corroded or dirty, and we're cleaned properly prior to it being assembled.

Paulgiblin
On 11/5/2016 at 7:17 PM, rikky said:

Got it installed, doesn't sound bad at all to be honest and works fine. Only minor issue was feed and return swapped position so had to adjust pipework.

But..

Took old Walbro out, gave it 12v to the plug on the Peugeot pump housing...didn't run, nothing. So, then I removed the pump and sent 12v directly to it without the Peugeot housing and it runs fine and pumped a full 20ltr without hesiatation.

So looks like corrosion or a breakage from the main plug to the terminals that then connect up to the pump itself. So I'll split it all apart tomorrow and see if it'll clean up, so at least I've now got a spare pump now :lol:

The terminals don't seem overly corroded or dirty, and we're cleaned properly prior to it being assembled.

How long did the gsf pump last after? I just bought one 

rikky

Still running fine.. :) no problems whatsoever 

Paulgiblin

Cheers I just recieved mine. I have put a saxo vts in my car and my 205 was a 1. 6 auto. After alot of digging I found the 1.6 spi is only between 1 to 1.5 bar pump. Hope the gti one fixes My after half throttle no power lol