• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DBG

205 Gti 1.6 Turbo?

DBG

Morning all,

I realise this is possibly a silly question, but has anyone fitted the 1.6 turbo from the later Pug GTI's to their 205 by chance?

Is it possible / similar in difficulty to a GTI6 conversion? Are the engine mounts the same?

Just a thought really.

Thanks

Ben

allye

It's nothing like a GTI6 conversion at all, in any way.

Not been done yet.

DBG

Thanks mate.

My initial thoughts are the problems would be the engine management / talking to the dash / drive by wire / mounting points etc.

Was just a thought given the engines can be picked up reasonably cheap these days and are much younger than the GTI6 engines (and possibly lighter?). I drive the car most days so would also possibly be more economical than the 8v.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my GTI6 conversion years ago, and I'll likely keep this car standard, was just a question that crossed my mind this morning.

Cheers

Ben

Gaz205

Having owned a 207 GTI with the 175 THP engine, I wouldn't recommend it as even a transplant unit. Very unreliable... Cam chain issues, they use a lot of oil, they build up with carbon massively and I would assume would need to be mated to the pug/DS3 box which they again have their issues of only 5 speed and suffer duel mass fly wheel issues...

Maybe a rebuilt unit would survive but I'm not convinced the work would be worth the outcome?

I'd be more interested in seeing a 1600HDI dropped into a 205!

• Like 1

welshpug

the only other engine more troublesome than the EP6 is the DV6 :lol

newer EP6 seem to be vastly improved, they got the highest bhp/litre for a production 1.6 with the RCZ R special too.

mounts etc would be all custom, but given its lineage being close to a TU engine making it fit shouldnt be too hard, depends how bulky the gearbox is, there are 6 speed boxes for them by now.

main issue is it being a direct injection variable valve timing electric throttle electronic boost control 3 map sensors 3 engine position sensors, probably many more, its not a simple thing to run!

you wouldn't need to get the 207 or whatever dash in, youd need to do some programming so the ecu works either without the bsi unit or without the rest of the car connected to the bsi unit, probably add the standard 205 dash sensors in addition to the ep6 stuff the ecu runs (207 etc use a single coolant sensor fur example, the ecu sends signal to dashboard and ac system)

DBG

Thanks for the info guys. It doesn't sound like it would be a simple conversion. Also not really keen on blazing an untrodden trail if no one else has attempted it as yet! Haha.

Cheers

Ben

Gaz205

the only other engine more troublesome than the EP6 is the DV6 :lol

newer EP6 seem to be vastly improved, they got the highest bhp/litre for a production 1.6 with the RCZ R special too.

mounts etc would be all custom, but given its lineage being close to a TU engine making it fit shouldnt be too hard, depends how bulky the gearbox is, there are 6 speed boxes for them by now.

main issue is it being a direct injection variable valve timing electric throttle electronic boost control 3 map sensors 3 engine position sensors, probably many more, its not a simple thing to run!

you wouldn't need to get the 207 or whatever dash in, youd need to do some programming so the ecu works either without the bsi unit or without the rest of the car connected to the bsi unit, probably add the standard 205 dash sensors in addition to the ep6 stuff the ecu runs (207 etc use a single coolant sensor fur example, the ecu sends signal to dashboard and ac system)

I wish I'd tried harder at school then I'd be able to write things like that ^ lol

At least we both agree'd it's a poor engine !

Tom_Gallington06

Has anybody tried this yet? 

speaksgeek

I'm also curious about this.

ECU's for direct injection are relatively available, so the control doesn't seem so daunting. I'm more interested in the physical fitment.

welshpug

physical fit is the easiest bit

doubt anyone has done it yet as they have a long history of catastrophic failures, the most recent variants seem to have ironed these out and are making big power reliably.

Tom_Gallington06

I know somebody that races a 208 gti so the wiring side should be fine on a standalone ecu. I am starting to look into it. 

SRDT

For the Gearbox side you could go with a mix of BE3 ans BE4:

BE4 bellhousing with a cable operated clutch fork, I think the cable has to be the one for the TU gearbox.

Everything else from a BE3 so it bolts straight with no mods needed.

Another option is the new six speed MB6, it should bolt on the EP6 and it's based on the BE4, you mostly need to make a gearbox mount adapter and use BE3 bits for the tacho cable or the gear change.

The six speed MCM on the other hand has no cable clucth, a cable operated gearstick with the gearbox side on the front, no provision for a tachometer cable...