• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

Bp Ultimate Petrol Rip-Off: Beware!

lagonda

Recently filled up my LG6 at White Post Filling Station at Yeovil. Normally use Shell V-Power in the UK, but needed to fill up, and advertised pricing of their BP 95 octane at 108.9 a litre was very competitive. As seems all to frequent, the high octane petrol was not shown on their sign, just 95 and diesel. Pricing of V-Power was in the region of 120.9 - 121.9 on my trip, so I expected similar or lower, given Shell 95 priced at around 112.9-113.9.

So when I went to pay, was more than horrified to be asked for £91.83! Transpires their price for BP Ultimate was 157.9! Their staff feigned ignorance of how ludicrous that was, and of course, no manager to hand so no choice but to pay (be mugged, rather).

We stopped at a BP station in Sherborne (just 6 miles from Yeovil) later the same day. Their 95 was 114.9 .. and Ultimate was 131.9. Still 10p overpriced compared with Shell V-Power, but surely making White Post's 157.9 insupportable.

I emailed the manager at White Post to complain, as surely the pricing was in error. No reply forthcoming, so I tried again. This is his reply:

"In reply to your previous emails, unfortunately the fuel pricing is not a keying error. Our Ultimate fuel is priced a lot higher, nearly 50% higher. This is how our Ultimate fuel is priced. On lifting the pump nozzle the price per litre is clearly shown on the pump screens and the price is correct."

This is utterly absurd. OK the price may have been shown somewhere on the pump, but how many times do you check that before filling? Rather one goes by the advertised 95 price and expects some normal enhancement, perhaps 8 - 10p a litre. With pricing that stratospheric, surely it should have been shown on their main advertising sign.

Incidentally, BP claim an extra "up to 21 miles per tank" using Ultimate. My petrol consumption using Ultimate was 15.33mpg. Using V-Power on the same trip, I got 15.89, 17.51, 15.35, 15.33 and 16.87. So that claim is utter crap. Also note that despite the name, Ultimate is 97 octane, whereas Shell V-Power is 99.

So, has anyone else suffered similarly from such sharp practice? Have you complained and obtained a refund? Do tell!

Biggles

many times do you check that before filling?

Actually every single time regardless of whether it's Regular, Super or LPG.

The sweary filter will not allow me comment on what I think of BP White Post.

Anthony

I'm genuinely struggling to see how you can't have noticed the price at some point whilst filling up - even if you didn't notice the price per litre, surely you must have seen the total cost of the fill up rising alarmingly quickly compared to the volume of fuel you were putting in?

dobboy

£1.28.9 for ultimate at my BP

They have been known to charge £1.05 for a can of coke though.

I'd contact BP direct and complain as I think these places are franchises, even if you never noticed, their prices won't sell a great deal of product at that price.

forbeslongden

Did you check the meter or just fill up until the pump clicked? One of those ways is living dangerously for sure!

lagonda

Problem is it's tricky filling the tank, the car is 1939 and doubtless pumps then didn't deliver at the speed they do today. It's more important to make sure that petrol isn't flooding the forecourt, than watching figures go round....after all, the pumps are tested for accuracy. I always fill the tank to the brim...not so many litres, or so many £s worth. Once I had noticed the pricing, I assumed it must have been some keying error, especially given the very competitive pricing of their 95 octane.

Regarding checking the price.....I started driving in 1974, and have never in all that time had an experience like this, so why should I? I thought BP were up there with Shell etc, and would never for one moment have thought such sharp practice could be experienced from retailers of their perceived standing.

welshpug

This has nothing to do with BP, its the franchise that controls what price you pay, which is shown on the pump...

mikeyd

that place is ALWAYS dear compared to the rest of yeovil -- dont know why as they are only a couple of miles from asda / tescos and morrisons so must catch the incoming trade before they find the cheaper sites

forbeslongden

I assumed that most pumps these days have a variable speed from the trigger system, I personally slot the nozzle into the tank and press the trigger half way whilst checking the price and glance at the tank until that click, then I'm done. I wouldn't even consider pay the price per gallon that you paid, but then - I'm not one of these that needs the best fuel in my car. It's a bit naughty not having a visible external price though.

feb

My local BP petrol station is cheaper (in every fuel) compared to the Shell equivalent.

BP Ultimate is around 1.23 and V-power Nitro 1.28 or so.

• Like 1

Alan_M

Opposite Asda? Just filled the 330 with Ultimate there.

Don't know about anyone else but I always check the unit price as soon as I lift the nozzle.

GLPoomobile

Personally I cannot relate at all to the mentality of NOT checking the price, but appreciate everyone has different - and sometimes bizarre - habits! I watch the pump whirring around, even if I'm filling to the brim rather than aiming for "just a tenner", so I'm always conscious of what the PPL is and how much I'm putting in. I think that possibly stems from being a total skin-flint who always tries to seek out the best deal on petrol (I use Petrolprices.com, and have their app on my phone, and I even plan off-motorway supermarket refuel stops on long journeys, to coincide with the distance where I will need to fill up). I'm a sad bastard!

Tom Fenton

I'm afraid to say I also always check the price. There's a filling station I know of near the M1 that is daylight robbery, on the odd occasion I've no choice but to stop there, I'll only put a tenner in to get me elsewhere.

• Like 1

feb

Opposite Asda? Just filled the 330 with Ultimate there.

Don't know about anyone else but I always check the unit price as soon as I lift the nozzle.

Yep :)

With the platinum discount card you also get 1p off a lt every Sunday, their prices are good really.

Same, and triple checking the nozzle I put is the correct fuel lol.

Edited by feb

dobboy

I'd complain about the price to BP.

http://www.bp.com/en_gb/on-the-road/united-kingdom/contact-us.html

If you look on their map/locations, it lists the filling station you used, so directly or indirectly BP are getting bad press.

I might be wrong, but I imagine if this is a franchise agreement it will operate similar to a brewers pub, in that the landlord gets cheaper rent so long as they sell the landlords beer. The brewer wouldn't want the beer over inflated and the punters start drinking cider.

I don't think BP would be over the moon if their product was being over inflated, and the station was basically being used for crisps, fags, and coffee.

£1.57.9 is taking the Michael whether you realised the price or not.

Imagine you went to a new McD's and they tried to you £10 for a Big Mac.

lagonda

No, not opposite Asda, White Post is on it's own, opposite the turn off to Hardington Moor.

I'm usually pretty careful....but I've been buying petrol since 1974. It's taken 42 years therefore for me to experience robbery like this. Up till now I'd have thought it pretty sad to be watching the digits move....guess I'll have to follow the concensus on here from now on.

Nevertheless I'll be taking it up with BP directly. With such a massive enhancement over the 95 price, there should be more warning than digits on the pump, ie on their main hoarding display. As stated, 108.9 for 95 is pretty competitive, so why should one imagine that their Ultimate price would not be similarly competitive? Sharp practice, surely.

Anthony

Imagine you went to a new McD's and they tried to you £10 for a Big Mac.

I was in Geneva last month and can confirm that a Big Mac meal is about £13. I couldn't decide which was more horrendous - the price or the "food" (I use the term loosely).

lagonda

That's Switzerland for you. Last time I was there, restaurants were not selling wine by the bottle, but by the glass, and that was generally €8. Cross the border into Italy, and a very nice litre (not 75cl!) of wine was....€8.

Chris H

Just be glad you don't live in jersey in the channel islands....the std price for Super UL 98 is £1.55/L!!

The 95 UL is 96p/L!

feb

I was in Geneva last month and can confirm that a Big Mac meal is about £13. I couldn't decide which was more horrendous - the price or the "food" (I use the term loosely).

Not as bad as Norway, £20 for a burger and chips at a service station :o

It's all relative though as a cook in a restaurant earns the salary of an engineer in UK.

Edited by feb