• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Skf (Apparently) Driveshafts

James Cornell

I am putting this post up as a warning to potential 205 owners so you don't fall into the trap I did.

I ordered a new driveshaft from euro car parts and fitted it late last year, I don't do many miles so I didn't notice that it had goosed my new genuine wheel bearing on the near side until it failed it's MOT.

I replaced the bearing thinking I had been unlucky and got a duff bearing and less than one mile later to the retest it goosed the new one.

It turns out that these driveshafts are not machined correctly on the outer section and do not allow the bearing face to mate correctly with the bearing, as such they tighten up when you got them but under load work loose and destroy the bearing.

I have since replaced it with a pucker driveshaft from Spoox and have had no issue.

I will post some pictures later to show you what I mean but please buyer beware as this has cost me two sets of wheel bearings and driveshaft seals

Anthony

Yup, you're not the first person to fall foul of this.... at least a couple of other members have fallen foul of the same problem with the same resulting bearing failures.

James Cornell

The first picture is a genuine Peugeot shaft with the outer race placed on the shaft, as you can see its flush with the mating surface.

The second is the brand new driveshaft and you can see with the same race resting on the shaft it is 25tho or so away from the mating surface

Picture three is the invoice with the part number

post-24024-0-44903700-1470862712_thumb.jpeg

post-24024-0-79996400-1470862721_thumb.jpeg

post-24024-0-14559400-1470862731_thumb.jpeg

James Cornell

Thanks for the update Anthony, what baffles me is that SKF (a reputable bearing manufacturer) are putting their names against these driveshafts that are not for purpose!!!

I am peeved because it means I have shelled out for two bearing Kit's, two gearbox seals and I still have a car off the road at present, I don't find the situation acceptable at all...

Ozymandis

Its not just skf shafts or 205 ones.

I have seen several cheapo shafts with the same problem, on Berlingos and Partners <same wheel bearing/splines as 1.9 GTi>

Probably all made in the same far eastern factory and badged up as whosoever ?

skf went downhill a few years ago, just look at the poxy waterpumps they supply.

You can use the shafts if you get a die grinder in and grind a bit off the rear of the hub flange, works fine then.

blandy

Had the exact same issue with skf shafts although luckily noticed when fitting waste interested either when I tried to return it as not fit for purpose

hoodygoodwood

Trial assemble the shaft into the hub with a tiny 'sausage' of plasticene across the contact area then pull it apart and see how much clearance you have . I tried to machine the 45 degree angle on the shaft but it is hard so had to die grind some of the rear of the flange away - would have been much easier to do earlier when it was all in bits before I fitted the new wheel bearings .This is a common problem with new shafts now and I would be inclined to remove 2 MM or so off all drive flanges as a matter of course .

Your pic shows a problem with the bearing touching which I have not seen myself and that bearing looks very different to those I removed from my hubs .

Edited by hoodygoodwood