• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Simmo

Gearbox Mount

Simmo

I'm trying to look into possibilities for an intermittent vibration I have on track turning right under load and want to know if the underside of this mount looks right. There's about 10mm between the rubber washer (which freely moves) and the underside of the mount.

Hopefully the pic has attached ok!

Edited by Simmo

Simmo

Well I've ordered a new competition Vibratechnics mount to try so will see how that goes...

...thanks for the feedback!

allanallen

Alright alright! I'd hazard a guess your vibration is down to the engine moving and squashing the driveshaft up.

When you fit your new mount, lever the engine/gearbox over to the offside of the car before tightening the two clamping bolts on the box mount. The uprated mount alone may help the issue anyway, provided the rest of the mounts are uprated.

welshpug

i think most of us tried to help on facebook :lol:

• Like 1

Simmo

Yeah thanks Mei, I did want some clarification on whether the mount was assembled correctly in the first place and how it looked once removed from the pics I later added on FB but re-assembled using a large washer beneath the rubber one, jacked up the box and tightened the top nut (which tightened the washers nicely) but as soon as the jack is released the box drops down and washers loosen again like the rubber stretches.

Thanks Allan, yeah I was just surprised that an uprated mount could stretch like this, have a feeling it's a lot older than the previous owner led me to believe!... will see what the new one does!

welshpug

the washer should be under the stud before it gets screwed into the box.

Simmo

Oh I see! Really?! So it's sandwiched between the gearbox stud and the box casting? The stud has a small cup on it so assumed the metal washer sat on that!

Haven't been able to find any clear pics online for it.

Thanks for that.

welshpug

there shouldn't be anything on a 205 stud, the 306 has a stepped tube though.

Simmo

Man! No idea what I have now then! BE3 box so should be the 205 stud, will look closer when new mount arrives and I strip it all down.

Anthony

What gearbox is it, as there's plenty of BE3 gearboxes from other models that will fit into a 205 but have a different style stud (e.g. 306)?

Simmo

It's stamped XU3O BE3 on diff housing. The previous owner didn't know and I can't recall what Miles said it was made up of now! ????

Simmo

Well I haven't tested it yet but the new competition vibratechnics mount seems a lot tighter, think the old one was elongated at the bottom. And have come to the conclusion the rubber/metal washers are a waste of space!

welshpug

no, the metal washer stops the box from lifting.

Simmo

The only way the box can lift is through flex of the rubber itself now!

ArthurH

It feels as though continuing this thread is more appropriate than starting a new one.  My son had a lot of problems with the LH drive shaft bottoming out when turning right on his 205 when racing it last season.  Massive vibration through the car - like rumble strips X 100.  It is fitted with 309 wishbones, and 205 driveshafts (which we changed twice to no effect).  The drive shaft plunge measures only 3.5mm on the near side, well below the 10mm minimum we have been told of.  We tried moving the engine as far as we could to the right (off side), but could only move it a mm or two, so no noticeable difference.   Over Christmas we have had a chance to remove the engine and subframe.  One thing we have found is the gearbox mount looks damaged.  Can anyone tell us what type this is?    It comes with spacer I have shown in the second photo.  I'm guessing the spacer will lower the engine - good for lowering the CofG - but bad for drive shaft alignment? 

IMG_20190117_150829194.jpg

IMG_20190117_150837456.jpg

IMG_20190117_150855508.jpg

ArthurH

Does anyone else have a spacer like this?

ArthurH

If this is a competition part (and obviously damaged) would we be better reverting to a new but standard part?  If so, would anyone know what that correct part number is?  There seems to be a lot of choice of similar parts, but I don't know how interchangeable they are.

This one supplier alone seems to have several...

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car-brands/spare-parts-peugeot/205-ii-20a-c/2310/10638/engine-mounting-bracket.html

Tom Fenton

Buy an uprated gearbox mount from Baker BM.

• Like 1

petert

That aluminium spacer was supplied with Vibratechnics gearbox mounts. I recall trying to face one a bit thinner in the lathe and failed dismally. If you run the engine/gearbox too low, the inner cv boot will hit the subframe. As suggested, buy a BakerBM mount.

• Like 1

ArthurH

Thanks Tom and Peter - my son has now ordered the Group N mount from BakerBM 

Miles

Need to make sure what stud you have on the gearbox, this can effect the bush's, 205's are thicker than the later 306 type which run a sleeve over them

ArthurH

Interesting that you should mention it.  The BakerBM mount arrived yesterday - (24hrs - very impressive), but wasn't exactly as I was expecting.  The old mount, as per the photos above, has a steel sleeve that (when it was new ;)), was a snug fit over the stud.  The new mount has a large rectangular slot in the rubber - so the only contact point with the stud, is the bonded steel disk on the top.  It could be that because I have never seen the OE mount, I'm not aware of where the 'performance' aspect of the BakerBM mount lies.  Perhaps harder rubber?

IMG_20190124_110413443.thumb.jpg.c9b37fd2b8e83c4fbace075d88b8c00a.jpgIMG_20190124_110500581.thumb.jpg.abe9661c2eb1a8e064c3712595d67445.jpgIMG_20190124_110511384.thumb.jpg.45c165d1ef270493fe7c6f52c0874413.jpg

jackherer

Yes the BakerBM mount is exactly the same design as the OE part but has much firmer rubber. It's basically a replica of the old 'group N' mount that Peugeot Sport used to sell.