• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lloyd1986

Jap Export Gti

lloyd1986

Hi guyd after abit more info on a car ive bought ive bought it thinking it was a 1.9 gti but after stripping it ive noticed alot of 1.6 bits on it can anyone explain to me more about the spec of a jap spec car ???

iPlod999

What are the last 3 of the reg?

iPlod999

AVC and BKV were the VRM's given to the export models.

Also had air con, power steering and a catalytic converter.

Edited by iPlod999

iPlod999

Would have had 1.6 wheels and cloth interior.

lloyd1986

It has the remains of aircon it also has abs, power steering and a cat but doing a vic check and it states that its a gentry 1.9 auto yet what I have found its the wrong colour it has standard half leather and a be3 box not auto

Edited by lloyd1986

iPlod999

Yep. Export model.

Auto, drum brakes at the rear.

Lower powered engine, 105 BHP, to meet Japanese emission regs at the time.

That's about all I think. I'm sure others will know more.

camgti

We got the same cars here in OZ. (no auto though)

Its basically a 1.6 with a detuned 1.9 donk. All running gear is 1.6 spec.

lloyd1986

I think the only thing thats a 1.9 gti is the engine shafts and hubs

welshpug

I believe that is an abs thing.

petert

I think the only thing thats a 1.9 gti is the engine shafts and hubs

I think you'll find it's a DFZ with 1.6 shafts and hubs.

Miles

Yes 1.6 ABS models used 1.9 running gear and odd offset wheels to keep the 1.6 stance, Chuck the chassis number in service box or PM it to someone and all the build info will be on there, Loads have been changed to manual so that means nothing

griffo

Ok, if you jam in the VIN at http://205gti.info you can confirm a few aspects on the car... a few more than SB will offer up.

griffo

I have a few questions about these Japanese Auto GTi's living in the UK.

According to 'Sporting Peugeot 205s' and echoed in the 'Essential Buyers Guide', these GTi's appeared on the UK market in 1992.

Now I have data for three of these GTi's from UK sources and they all have 'build dates' in September 1990 which makes me wonder whether these were part of the failed export that is referred to in the books or a prior situation as I would not think these cars would be languishing in a warehouse for over a year.

The options of A/C is standard for 'Hot Climate' markets like Japan and Australia and the addition of P/S makes these probably the first GTis with this combination.

I was surprised to see ABS installed as the underlying data does not show this as an explicit option and I wonder if the other Jap Auto GTi's in the UK also had ABS.

I have seen a December 1990 build Japanese Auto GTi over here in AU which was imported from Japan and it did have the A/C and P/S but I don't think it had ABS.

So did other Jap Auto GTi's in the UK have ABS?

Cheers

griffo

2-Pugs

Neil, based on my limited experience of breaking one of these Jap 309's a few years back, that didn't have ABS, and a Jap CTI that I know of also doesn't have ABS.

Miles

No Jap Export model I;ve seen had ABS, That's CTi, GTi and 309 GTi

• Like 1

griffo

OK, so it sounds like lloyd1986's 'Auto' has had this retrofitted then along with the manual gearbox etc. The serial number on the gearbox might give a clue :-)

Any thoughts on the gap between production and the 1992 release date?

ian65

interested to read this thread, my 1.9 GTI has the reg AVC on a K plate but has been a 1.9GTI (DKZ) manual from new...

IMG_3145_zpsq8wyddzm.jpg

It's equipped with Motronic, has got the remains of a/c and has power steering, discs all round etc

bvc_zpsavrwrch5.jpg

servicebox confirms this as does the vin decoder on this forum...

SD_zpsm1fcqfov.png

The car was 1st registered by Peugeot Talbot Motor Co, Coventry on 30.09.92 and then sold by them on 10.02.1993

It also has this black box at the top of the O/S inner wing by the vin plate which I've been told is something that the Jap market cars had?
box_zpsbbzzcug5.jpg
Edited by ian65

griffo

Thanks for submitting the VIN Ian, every car, especially these rare models helps build a picture of what transpired.

The 'black box' is an exhaust temperature sensor which appears to have been mandated by the Japanese authorities for a period of time to warn if the exhaust temps were too high which could damage the cat... or somesuch. I believe it activates a warning light on the dash.

Exhaust%20Temp%20Sensor.png\\

The Jap GTi I saw locally had a DFZ engine and also had this control unit. It had a 'Build date' of 12/90, so your car makes me think it was one of the earliest Jap DKZ vehicles. I wonder why is wasn't shipped to Japan?

It's curious that the first registration date is so much later than the build date (over 18 months) which appears to be a similar delay to the Jap Auto GTis.

One last thing, the sunroof is not showing up as an explicit option, so it makes me think this part of the build like the A/C and P/S.

Cheers

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Was this the red car that was partially stripped from Gumtree in the South West?

lloyd1986

No its a graphite grey one I bought.

and after reading all these comments :)

Ive learnt abit more about the car cheers guys