• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

5.5J Max Tyre Width

dobboy

Does anyone see any problems running 195/50/15 Yoko A048's on 5.5J wheels on track?

I've found this,

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/tyre-size-for-rim-width_topic60146.html

And this

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-101/basic-information/customizing/rim-wheel-width

Seems 195 is the max for 5.5J, however that'll be for a road tyre.

Any problems envisaged with running the sidewall/reinforcement at an angle?

Thanks in advance.

Biggles

Yokohama list 5.5" - 7.0" for 195/55/15 A048's so if they're happy ...

• Like 1

welshpug

why would you do 5.5" wheels?

dobboy

Yokohama list 5.5" - 7.0" for 195/55/15 A048's so if they're happy ...

Where do you see that?

dobboy

why would you do 5.5" wheels?

I want to use 15's on track on my mini as I've got spare 15" A048 tyres. Maybe further down the line I'll buy broader wheels but for the time being I was gonna use a set of cheap Mini One alloys I picked up.

dobboy

Thanks Biggles, that's ideal.

Looks like 5.5j is ok but 6.5j is recommended.

Also notice it's a 2016 catalogue and says the A048's are road legal, I'm pretty sure I've read they're aren't now, or at least some aren't.

I'll try them and see!

Thanks again. ????

Mac Crash

They are road legal but pointless to run them on road, they only come with 4.5mm tread from new and you'll be lucky to get 500 miles from a set before they reach 1.6mm, softs anyway, not sure about mediums...

welshpug

They'll be fine if you keep an eye on the pressures and temps, seen a few friends get a few thousand out of them

Biggles

Thanks Biggles, that's ideal.

Looks like 5.5j is ok but 6.5j is recommended.

Also notice it's a 2016 catalogue and says the A048's are road legal, I'm pretty sure I've read they're aren't now, or at least some aren't.

I'll try them and see!

Thanks again.

The road legal bit is slightly misleading as they are taking E marked to mean road legal (which isn't quite true (I'm talking UK here) ). The catalogue makes the distinction between the 'old' A048 - which is E marked - and the 'new' A048 which is not E marked. It's the same tyre (as I understand it) but the requirements for E marking have changed so 'new' A048's don't have it.

The interesting bit (for me) is the 'new' ones only come in Medium compound. I used to run Medium on the front & Soft on the rear as if it was a bit cold or wet, the Mediums didn't get warm enough. I still have a pair of each, lightly cut, for use as Inters - so I guess when they're worn out I won't be getting any more.

dobboy

I don't intend running them on the road, it was just an observation. But it is handy to have them road legal as you can drive to a trackday on them, not that any normal plod would know what they were looking at if they stopped you.

I had them on my Saxo on the road briefly, and they were fine except the car felt really strange as the sidewalls were so stiff and followed the camber of the road. Very odd feeling driving it, a bit nervy tbh.

Yep WP, pressures have to be watched carefully as the tyres can be ruined quickly when roasted, IIRC I set my fronts on the Saxo to 26psi going on to track and they were 31psi coming off, and rears to 29.

Biggles

If you think A048's are stiff, you ought to try a proper competition tyre !! :-)

• Like 1

welshpug

yeah, I only noticed one of the Pirelli's Garry had on the saxo was flat because it made a different sound when I bounced it, 24 psi barely looked any different to 10!

• Like 1

allanallen

yeah, I only noticed one of the Pirelli's Garry had on the saxo was flat because it made a different sound when I bounced it, 24 psi barely looked any different to 10!

allanallen

Gravel tyres are the best for that, I drove my 205 around for a few days with very peculiar handling, turned out one of the back tyres was completely flat! :P looked absolutely fine!

allanallen

For what it's worth.... I run 15/185/60 gravel tyres on 5.5j rims as they're the optimum for the type of tyre. 195/50 road tyres look wrong on them, I use 6.5j for those.

• Like 1

dobboy

For what it's worth.... I run 15/185/60 gravel tyres on 5.5j rims as they're the optimum for the type of tyre. 195/50 road tyres look wrong on them, I use 6.5j for those.

cool. do you see any reason why the A048 would under perform badly due to 5.5J?

The sidewalls will be more angled inwards on 5.5J than 6.5J but is there anything else to consider that i'm missing?

(i'm hoping it will accelerate a smidgen quicker as i'll be going from a 17" 205/45 to a 15" 195/50 also, which is around 20mm diameter difference..... but also my 15" wheels are less than 5.5kG, which must surely be lighter than a 17" TD 1.2?)