• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MadeinWigan

Stdt Going Hdi

MadeinWigan

I bought an STDT a couple of months ago, Steel grey, pretty rough bodywork but not a lot of rust. It leaks like a sieve but I really like it.

I planned on just running it as it is but the engine had an annoying habit of revving by itself if it was pointing downhill! A friend happened to have a 306 hdi estate with knackered rear suspension and a lot of rust so a plan was hatched to get the hdi engine into the 205. I've done a bit a reading and tried to plan the conversion and any trouble spots.

Last week we took the engine out of the 205 which went well and I thought it would be a fairly swift conversion. How things can change in a week! Today we took the engine out of the 306 and it has left me with lots of questions. Here's a few pictures to get things started.

76DD10A7-4751-4250-8DE6-BC9A70067CFB.jpg

E1B5BE17-4D9A-4FD2-AE24-36AC9B746F48.jpg

And the 306 engine

DEC73756-76EC-42C7-A0B3-647C457ED873.jpg

This is going to be complicated.

Edited by MadeinWigan

MadeinWigan

Seeing the two engines and the differences has thrown up a few questions. Do I need a lift pump for fuel? Is there any was to keep the 306 power steering set up and marry it to the STDT power steering? WIRING!!! The wiring is quite scary, so much in the engine bay and round the front of the 306. I imagine there is a lot of trimming to do so that only the essentials are left.

I'm using the 306 engine and gearbox which will mean that I'll be doing the "bodge" on the driveshaft. Any advice off anyone with experience of doing a hdi conversion would be appreciated.

welshpug

You only need the engine bay loom, yes you will need a lift pump, gti tank can do that.