• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

tflg84

Xu9Ja Sump Swap

tflg84

Greetings....

my first post is regarding a big problem i have with my GTI.

My Pug was originally a 1988 1.6, wich was converted fully to a 1.9.

I have it for a number of years, with no problems so far. Last inspection\MOT the guy who was doing the procedure was "alerted" by another one, that my can had an "upgraded" engine...

As in Portugal we pay out car tax regarding the capacity of the engine, this is a big problem...

At the time i did the conversion because the engines are almost identical as you know...

They discovered it by the spacer plate on the sump.

The alternative i have is to go back to a 1.6. But i dont have the engine, and honestly, i dont wanna go back to a 1.6. Nothing wrong with it, its just that the 1.9 suits my kind of fun driving...

So, i search here on the forum, but im still a bit confused... What i need to do to use a regular sump without using the spacer plate? Wich sump do i have to get? A regular 1.6? Will i have problems not using the spacer? Do i have to do anything to the oil pick up?

Btw, my engine was originally a 1.9 cat, a XU9JZ

Thank you in advance for your replies

Anthony

Remove 1.9 sump and spacer, and fit the 1.6 sump (using the shorter 1.6 bolts). No need to change the oil pickup or anything else.