• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

parv121

Car Cover Problem / Anyone Else Suffered?

parv121

hi,

i have 2 x 205 cti's in white and over the winter after alot of research i invested in the high recommended and quality "stormforce car covers".i have been removing the covers to work on the cars during winter and take much care with the removal and handling of the covers.

however both cars have started showing soft greyish/black marks on the paint work all over the car.

at first they seemed like water marks or grim marks but they dont come off! i have washed the car a few times but the marks are not coming off.

both car are suffereing the same issue.

the stromforce covers are highly regarding and well written about on the net so im looking for information from anyone who may have suffered these symptoms in the past or current.

• Like 1

lightflow

Hi Parvesh - I wonder if this is due to wind buffeting the covers and causing abrasion where it touches against the paintwork...?

GLPoomobile

Get yourself a clay bar and see if you clean the marks off that way. That will tell you if the marks are a transfer of materials from the cover rubbing on the paint, or if it's actually the paint that has become scuffed. A clay bar should remove and transferred dirt or material etc, but won't remove, change or improve damage to the paint. If the paint is damaged you can try buffing it with a polish, but that obviously doesn't address the root cause.

SkyQuake

Sorry to hear about your issues Parvesh.

I've had a stormforce on mine since I completed the restoration, even though it stated not to use it on freshly repainted cars. It's been on the car 60% of the time, and it has caused no marks or abrasion at all (on a cherry red).

That said, the cover has started to break up now, and isn't as waterproof as it was when I bought it.

In Cambridge, we seem to get this very fine wind blown dust accumulating on cars. Not quite sure where it comes from. But I've always made sure I rub the car down with a cloth before putting the cover on, and like I say, I've never had any issues.

Weser

Let me guess they are Phase 1 white CTis. I think its the paint - mine is terrible for getting similar types of marks yet my dads white Phase 2 is completely different.

Anyway I have used autoglym paint renovator, then a good coat of polish which helped but still have dull marks. Its like the paint is chalky like it hasn't got a proper lacquer on it.

parv121

hi all,

thanks you all for replying!

my cars are a phase 1 cti 1987 and a phase 1.5 cti 1990. both are white.

i have clay bar and when i have a good day i will give it a go. but even with a couple of warm washes with good cleaner nothing changed.

i have contacted the company of the cover but immediatlly they said it was nothing to do with their covers..... as they would.

i pull the covers up as tight as possible on the car so the dont move to much in the wind.

i will now go and take some pictures and upload them. Maybe everyone can get a better idea.

i am really worried about this issue.

but a clay bar is a good way of telling if it is on or under the paint. will do it.

Tom Fenton

I'd only use a cover indoors. Outside you are better off with a good coat of wax.